1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ordered 5 string NS Copy 1/3 inch stainless laser cut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mustafa Umut Sa, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    I have just ordered a steinberger ns 5 string upright bass copy with 7mm thick stainless steel.
    I think before cut it consumes 11 kilograms of steel and after cut remains 6 kilograms or so.
    I bought weedwacker strings and hoping to play jazz or try NHOP.

Its a flat like a paper. I am thinking to glue wooden neck support to back of the neck.

I dont like handcraft and this is my first EUB. I have 5 large piezo round sensors and bass guitar tuners chinese elephant. I will connect the piezos to palm size small amp.

This is all I can do. I will order a nut and shallow bridge from luthier.

All cost me 80 dollars , including strings , stainless steel , laser cut and tuners.

I have no more money.

Umut
    Istanbul

mikewalker and Ellery like this.
  2. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    I’m intrigued... I’m not sure if I’m picturing it correctly in my head, but it sounds interesting!

I’d love to see pictures of the assembly!

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    It's been a long time, but you've traveled similar paths before Mr. Mustafa. Let's hope this one turns out better than some of your older threads... :)

4. tpa

tpa

Dec 1, 2007
    København, Danmark
    Sounds like an interesting concept. When you are done please post some photos.

5. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    Just for clarifiction , its a 2d instrument , not 3d. There is no curve anywhere , like a paper cut. I first thinking to order 1.5 mm - 1/23 inch thick - but my friends advised to go for 4 times thicker. I found the total weight between steel and wood similar. Wood steinbergers goes 4,5 kilograms , steel is 6 kilograms.

I found a company lazersan in istanbul , extremelly helpful and professional.
    Tonight I sent ns website png picture to them , they will draw it and send me a pdf to confirm. I gave basic dimensions.
    Luckily they have steel from other projects and this is very good news.
    In 3 weeks time , they would send me the cut steel.

I am thinking to add a fingerboard from china and neck finger support out of wood.

But fingerboards are costs me the all cost of the instrument and the hardware.

I think I should not go banktrump.:)

I will send the dwg and dxf and pdf files and the pictures here.

mikewalker likes this.
  6. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    this is the ns , I ordered a laser cut from the outer side and inner side with stainless steel 7mm thick.

Attached Files:

mikewalker and Ellery like this.
  7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Are they going to polish the steel for you?

Stainless is very hard. Laser cuts can be rough.

I am afraid you can end up with a cheese grater.

Ellery likes this.
  8. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    Thank you Charlie , I was thinking to write them to polish the surfaces but I will add the corners. Steel business is dirty , lots of grease , lots of scratches. I ordered art deco cutlery before and cuts were extremelly clean but I dont know how it goes with thick steel ?

9. I’m skeptical that it will work. For ergonomic reasons I think you’ll need some sort of a “neck” to anchor your thumb against. You might need some sort of turnbuckle or truss rod to dial in the amount of forward relief.

10. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    That's pretty cool dude, good luck. I look forward to seeing the final product.

11. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Good point! But I think a crude and simple wood 'neck' of some sort could easily and cheaply be obtained and epoxied to the back of it...

12. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    Wooden carving files are more expensive than my tuners costed to me. I am thinking to put a rectangular piece of wood as my thumb rest.

Is there anyone think that I do steel need a truss rod ? I cant imagine how a 7mm thick thin truss rod could flex 7mm thick steel. This stainless is two times stronger than 6 meters long ocean crossing steel boat hull.

And I am thinking to sand the plastic clear weedwacker strings. These strings are cheap and people swear that they sound as gut. The good side they would be good match with steel surface.

13. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    My questions:

Do I still need a truss rod ?

What will be the string lenght , bridge position , at 106 or at 107cms and would there be a chance that bass would not be in tune ? I think bass guitar bridge can be calibrated but I will not have a chance after I glue the wooden shallow bridge.

Another question , what would be the height of strings , nut , bridge ?

And I have fender chinese elephant ear tuners. Can they tune the instrument ?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  14. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    You need to know the difference between bending and tensile strength.

Take a 12" (30cm) wooden, plastic or steel rule, hold it flat on the edge of a table with most of it overhanging the edge.

Apply a slight pressure to the free end and it will bend easily, this is how your flat bass will behave. As soon as you start to tighten the strings it will start to bend.

Now turn the rule it on it's edge and it will lift your hand (holding it down) before you notice it start to bend. This is similar to having a truss rod. The edge of the rule is in tension, just like a truss rod would be.

7mm stainless steel is strong but that is tensile strength, you could probably use your bass as a tow bar to pull a truck and it would not snap, but bend it over your knee and you will get considerable deflection.

(This a very simplified explanation, there is a lot more to it than this!)

charlie monroe likes this.
  15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    It is going to flex a lot. And are you sure that you're not getting a scale model for $80?

16. Mustafa Umut Sa

Mustafa Umut Sa

Oct 20, 2007
    not scaled , 132 cms high , Finally I bought an bass guitar from internet. I dont want a flex thing.

17. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I am pretty sure that is what you are going to get.

If it were as easy as cut a flat shape out, glue on a fingerboard and string it up don't you think someone would have done it years ago.

Have you drawn out the string path to scale (from the tuners, over the nut, along the fingerboard, over the bridge, and to the tailpiece/anchorage) to make sure you have the correct heights and angles?

18. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I am not sure a standard truss rod will do it.

I'm thinking you need to span the whole distance from nut to string anchors. A few inches to either end probably wouldn't hurt.

delta7fred likes this.
  19. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    +1

A length of 1x1" (25x25mm) angle bolted along the full length of the back would probably stiffen it up enough.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021