Ordered a bass - got this reply

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suckbird, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Thank you for ordering with Thomann and your confidence
    in our products and services.

*******************Important Information*****************************

Hi there,

Sorry but we would need card confirmation as the amount is high, please can you fax or email (International@thomann.de) a copy of the card (front and back) with signature and the header from a card statement as this shows the name and details to which it is registered, your order has been put on hold.Please send fax to Edd 0049 9546 9223 24 including your customer number. Thank you

I'm paying with my visa e-card, does this mean i have to send them a pic or pay with my original card, if so then i wont buy it due to the risks.

Sorry, but i'm bad in english.
  2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Thomann are a reputable company, but I'd phone them to check the email is genuine. Look on their website for the number.
  3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
  4. The question is in fact if you are sure you want to buy a bass unseen if it is such an expensive bass?

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I would not fax a copy of my credit card to anyone. Call the company and find out what is going on.
  6. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    If you send funds by credit card to Excrow.com (whose business rationale is being a trusted third party) they require the same thing.

I don't fault any online seller for wanting to see the "real deal" to make sure they are not gettign scammed.
  7. You should not send that stuff. Call your Ccredit card company and ask if this is good idea. I say no.
  8. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    No, I wouldn't do that even for Alembic. I'd sent a cashier's check instead.
  9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    My wife has a retail merchant credit card account, and we also regularly worry when a large order is placed with a card. There are many ways to verify that the credit card is in the hands of the actual owner, but faxing a copy is not one of them. There is no reason to ever fax a copy of your credit card to anyone, for any reason .... don't do it
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i wouldn't do it either...sorry for your troubles :(
  11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Call them. They can verify the billing address of the card, and have the bass shipped there. No problems.
  12. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    It's not a very expensive bass,
    It's just a Cort Josh Paul it, it costs 759eur.

The thing is i'm not very good in english (i'm swedish)
    and 14years old, and my dad is even worse.
    If i can't make it with with just mailing them then i call them or i just skip buying it.
    I really wanted this bass, i could just buy it from sweden but the prices make me feel bad buying it.. about 980eur.
  13. Be careful, lots of fraud these days. My Wife works with the FBI and IRS on consumer fraud, and I hear horror stories every week...
  14. Did you order the bass on their website? If so you shouldn't have a problem. I've ordered more expensive items online with no questions asked.

The order form should ask for enough information for the company to verify that you are genuine. They shouldn't need any more information.

If you order an item on a website, your details are encrypted. You should never, ever send your credit card details by e-mail or fax because it is not secure, and you don't know who is receiving them at the other end.

Like the other guys said, give them a ring to find out what's going on. Someone could be trying to scam you.
  15. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    just be careful and do your homework. it's scary how criminals these days are able to manufacture emails that look nearly perfect. I used to get them from "ebay" asking for this sort of information, PLUS the PIN number, etc. I would call them directly and speak with them. At LEAST make sure the request for this information actually came from them.
  16. You speak English better then a lot of English people
  17. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I can't speak for the company cause I've never heard of the name before, but everything else about the request REEEKS of a Nigerian 419 Scam. There is no need for ANY company to actually see the credit card (front OR back) and I can't imagine why they would ever think they had the right to ask for the header from a bill. I don't even get a hardcop bill for one of my credit cards since it is all available online, so I would not be able to comply with that request.
  18. After being a victim of CC fraud I do appreciate retailers that verify CC information before they process an order. And guys please don't forget that CC's are not as wide spread as they are in the US.
  19. +1
  20. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Don't do it.

A legit company would not be asking for this. A legit company can check if the credit card is good for the amount being charged.

If they are in fact are real. live company and are asking for a copy of your card,etc., you don't want to deal with them. There are lots of professional buisnesses in the world.

Even in Europe!