Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ordered an EA CXL 112 From Bob G.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Sep 14, 2004.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Should be here by the weekend. I got very frustrated in my many failed attempts at trading my 310 for a pair of 112's or a side by side 212 so I'm just going to consign it locally. :spit: No travelling, no shipping, I'll just sit and relax and wait for the moola to come rolling in. :cool:

Rant's over and now back to the CXL:
    I haven't played one so this should be interesting... I like the way it looks on paper: Frequency response, efficiency, sensitivity, size & weight (my back is thanking me already because my narrow 15 steps to the upstairs really suck anymore!), not carpeted (see avatar). I prefer to get my tone colorization from the bass and amp and less so from the cabinet although I did really like Epifani's voicing/coloration. It seems like this may be what I'm looking for but I've said that at least a hundred times before. It's getting to the point where I don't even get too excited about amp gear anymore... It comes in and then it goes out. Hopefully it will have the overall tone, volume, and flexibility that I'll need for God-knows-what-type of permanent gig I'll actually land... In the mean time, it will be easier to cart around and have a smaller footprint for auditions, jams, etc.

If I really like this cab, I'll add a second one. I may also consider adding a CXL-110 if I need more cut. Then again, I might just switch to kazoo. :scowl: :help:

BTW, anyone know if they make covers for these?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yup, and Club Bass currently has them on closeout special for $15.95 U.S. They are black cordura slip covers. Not padded, but what do you expect for $16?

3. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Thanks for the tip! I shot them an email... As long as it will keep the precipitation off, I'm happy. :smug:

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I just happen to have a 2nd hand kazoo cover for sale ~~~ in very good condition & a very reasonable price, too.

Can you pay shipping?
    :rolleyes:
    :ninja:
    ;)

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cant go wrong with BobbyG. :cool:

expecting a FULL uber review!

6. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Talk to Bob.
    Whem I bought my CXL he sold me a cover made by EA.
    Although a bit pricey it's worth it.
    I think the inside is made of velvet :hyper:

Pedro

7. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That is quite different from the one I got. Mine is just a simple cover with holes for the handles. No pocket, no EA on it, no padding. I just wanted something to keep from marking up the cab up while putting it into the truck box (which is rough wood).

8. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The fancy padded on is mor e than I care to spend for just a cover. I need somthing that will keep the rain off. I fired all my roadies so I know it won't get bunged around too much... :D

And a review will deinitely be in order. ;)

9. Ya know, I think the finish on Cxl is its best feature. After owning one, I now won't have a carpeted cabinet....they're very durable and don't mark up easily. If I was gonna get a cover, I'd go w/ a cheapy one - just for rain/weather purposes.
    BTW, nice sounding cabinet (moderate/moderate-low volumes).

10. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Easily moved. Well-built. Yadda yadda yadda.

It's very tight, punchy, and fast... Pretty bright too. Much more so than any 12 I've played. It's got a more pronounced midrange while still seeming open and clear, not honky. It handles the low end pretty well thus far but I don't want to push it without breaking it in for a few hours first. Highs are very nice: airy and subtle not hissy, clanky, or harsh. I'll ty it out against a guitar amp when my brother comes home this weekend and then we'll see what its really made of. More to come... ;)

11. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I got some made for my EA cabs from Lecover. Excellent prices.

12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Alrighty. The new cab is still very punchy and bright with pretty decent low end. It may need to break in a little bit more but so far it handles EQ'ing nicely. It sounds very natural with whatever changes I make and responds well to them. It's a pretty darn loud little(-ish) cabinet. It keeps up with but does not surpass my brother's 40W 112 tube amp... So I added another one!

I bought it used and it is the slightly heavier, older (one Speakon, one 1/4" inputs in the back) version. This cabinet sounds warmer and has slightly better low end reproduction with less emphasis on the upper mids. It's rounder while retaining punch. Both cabinets have a very fast attack, unlike most twelves I have played and they sound bigger than tens (as a twleve should).

When paired, these things get ridiculously loud and low. They are efficient but definitely do well with some juice behind them. These two together are kind of a best of both worlds thing: Punchy, articulate, deep, and warm. I am waiting for my brother to get home so we can jam a little. So far, very similar reults as when I paired my former Epifani NYC and UL cabs. (Observation: Lighter versions of cabs just sound punchier than their heavier counterparts. Regardless of NEO?)

I'm not sure which one I like better as they both have very nice redeeming qualities that are different yet useful for different situations when used alone. I am happy that I have flexibilty and manageable weight/size without sacrificing tone or low end. Two cabs should be enough to keep up with anything I may have coming up, I just really need to get in a steady band!!! :ninja: :smug:

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Wow! Sounds like they should work really well for you.

Congrats!

14. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I have the same pair! One older and one newer CXL-112.

If you want an eye-opener, try running a CD player through a power amp into those cabs with no EQ at all, and the cab's tweeter level set in the middle.
    Seriously, these things make better PA cabs than most PA cabs :)
    The midrange is very up-front, but not at all peaky. The bass goes really deep and is super-smooth and very tight.

Now obviously the point is to be a good *bass* cabinet so maybe that's irrelevant... but it does give you an appreciation for the EA design goal: they really wanted a neutral, nearly-flat reproduction, so your coloration comes from your bass and your EQ. Works for me.

15. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Actually, EA pushes the cabs (and the iAmps) as being good for bass, accoustic guitar and keyboard. For a good keyboard setup, you have to have a good lows, good mids, and good highs!

16. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I forgot to mention: I also have the cheapo covers from clubbass. Nothing fancy but they'll do just fine.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine

I have used my EA VL-series cabs for PA use, and they are better than any other PA cab of similar size that I have heard. I recently acquired a CXL-112 (older one, I think) and a CXL-210, but I really haven't had a chance to put these through their paces. VL-208's, though, are the ultimate for PA! And VL-110's work incredibly well for monitors, kicked back on the bottom handles.