Ordered another Essex!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Oct 19, 2002.

1. I just placed my order for another Essex SJB-62 Jazz bass! This one I got with the red finish, matching headstock.

I'm planning on converting this bass into a PJ pickup config. I'll need to get a custom pickguard, but Warmoth has a Jazz pickguard for a P pickup. I'm thinking about getting that. Eventually, I'll swap the neck with a P width neck with a maple fretboard. I also have a set of bridge and pickup covers on the way.

For the P pickup to fit in the neck pickup spot, I'll have to route a small area. For now, I'll drop in a set of EMG selects I have sitting around. I think I'll keep the neck pickup stock for awhile.

When I swap the neck, I'm gonna make a custom decal, and make it an Essex SPJB-BS, the Ben Smith signature model. :D

I can't wait til it gets here. I'll be sure to take pics through out the process of it's transformation.
  2. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Hey ChaosGwar. I really like the idea of having the P pickup on a Jazz body like you're doing. I'd probably get an Essex but how would I go about placing the P pickup? Wouldn't I have to get the wood cut out more under the pickguard?
  3. When I measured my current Essex as a reference, I would only have to route out a small area. The route is already fairly large.

I only have to route an area that is the entire length of the high side of the split pup, and about 1/2 an inch up. It comes out to less than 2 square inches of wood that needs to be removed.

And with a new pickguard, the route will be completely covered anyway.

Now granted, the resale value is gonna plumet, but its not like it cost all that much to begin with. $119 for a brand new bass to mod is a very nice deal.
  4. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Granted there's only one single coil now, when using that pick-up won't there be alot of hum since hum cancelling isn't available(or is it?). Anyway to get around this or do you just have to deal with it?

Is a MM pickup at the bridge possible? Or is their too little space...?
  5. I have my bridge pick up solo'ed, and have not experienced much hum. I have to really listen for the hum, so I'm not really worried about that too much.

As far as the MM pup at the bridge, yes, it will fit. I don't think it hits the sweet spot for either the Ray or the Sterling. Also, the MM style pickups have 2 tones and a volume (IIRC, ICBW)wired to the one pickup. And since the P has one volume, one tone, wiring would be a nightmare. Unless you wanted to add more pots, which in turn would mean more routing. A MM is possible, but IMO, too much work.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Regarding hum:

EMGs are fully shielded and dont hum. Im not sure about the Selects, but I know its that way with the standard EMGs.

7. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ

(Can't you tell that I'm jealous?):D