Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ordered another Essex!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Oct 19, 2002.

1. I just placed my order for another Essex SJB-62 Jazz bass! This one I got with the red finish, matching headstock.

I'm planning on converting this bass into a PJ pickup config. I'll need to get a custom pickguard, but Warmoth has a Jazz pickguard for a P pickup. I'm thinking about getting that. Eventually, I'll swap the neck with a P width neck with a maple fretboard. I also have a set of bridge and pickup covers on the way.

For the P pickup to fit in the neck pickup spot, I'll have to route a small area. For now, I'll drop in a set of EMG selects I have sitting around. I think I'll keep the neck pickup stock for awhile.

When I swap the neck, I'm gonna make a custom decal, and make it an Essex SPJB-BS, the Ben Smith signature model. :D

I can't wait til it gets here. I'll be sure to take pics through out the process of it's transformation.

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Hey ChaosGwar. I really like the idea of having the P pickup on a Jazz body like you're doing. I'd probably get an Essex but how would I go about placing the P pickup? Wouldn't I have to get the wood cut out more under the pickguard?

3. When I measured my current Essex as a reference, I would only have to route out a small area. The route is already fairly large.

I only have to route an area that is the entire length of the high side of the split pup, and about 1/2 an inch up. It comes out to less than 2 square inches of wood that needs to be removed.

And with a new pickguard, the route will be completely covered anyway.

Now granted, the resale value is gonna plumet, but its not like it cost all that much to begin with. $119 for a brand new bass to mod is a very nice deal.

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Granted there's only one single coil now, when using that pick-up won't there be alot of hum since hum cancelling isn't available(or is it?). Anyway to get around this or do you just have to deal with it?

Is a MM pickup at the bridge possible? Or is their too little space...?

5. I have my bridge pick up solo'ed, and have not experienced much hum. I have to really listen for the hum, so I'm not really worried about that too much.

As far as the MM pup at the bridge, yes, it will fit. I don't think it hits the sweet spot for either the Ray or the Sterling. Also, the MM style pickups have 2 tones and a volume (IIRC, ICBW)wired to the one pickup. And since the P has one volume, one tone, wiring would be a nightmare. Unless you wanted to add more pots, which in turn would mean more routing. A MM is possible, but IMO, too much work.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Regarding hum:

EMGs are fully shielded and dont hum. Im not sure about the Selects, but I know its that way with the standard EMGs.

Peace
    Nick

7. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    PROJECT BASS! PROJECT BASS!

GAS STRIKES AGAIN!!

(Can't you tell that I'm jealous?):D