Ordered my dream bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by egroeg, Jul 21, 2021 at 7:05 PM.

1. egroeg

egroeg

Jul 20, 2021
    I'm very new at bass. Got a Peavey Fury IV and like it but when I think bass I think Ian Hill. Judas Priest has been my favorite band for over 40 years. This is the image in my head when I think bass. Screenshot_20210721-194621.png
    So I ordered one of these. G&L Tribute J B. Can't get a real 70s Fender but I'm real stoked about getting this! Screenshot_20210721-195852.png

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I haven't even considered buying a Fender after I bought my first G&L.
    Good luck!

kingforaday, Eli_Kyiv, JRA and 9 others like this.
  3. egroeg

egroeg

Jul 20, 2021
    Thanks man! I've never even played one. Always heard good things about them though.
    Found 3 basses that looked like this. This one a Squier CV 70s and a Tagima TJB4. This was the priciest one but I'm buying it with the intention of keeping it forever.

Alik, Bleecker and jd56hawk like this.
  4. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    G&L's are awesome, and so is Ian.

deff, Ralph69, PaulS and 2 others like this.
  5. Best wishes. Hope it is everything you desired in your dreams.

west al and Whorehay like this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You're welcome.
    You made the right choice.

Whorehay likes this.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Saw Judas Priest about 8 times. Never a bad show.

Whorehay likes this.
  8. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike

Jul 3, 2021
    HNBD, didn't know he played a J-bass! Just curious, what made you go with the G&L versus a Squier or Fender 70's RI?

Whorehay likes this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ya, he did through the 70's and most of the 80's till he went Spector.

Whorehay likes this.
  10. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Well, G&L is a "real" Fender since it was Leo's designs and company.

I'll take a G&L over a Fender every day of the week. Don't care what era Fender.

The Tributes are one of the best deals out there. Enjoy.

Bleecker, Whorehay and One Way like this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    BTW, just as a side note, Ian said he never uses the bridge pickup on any of the basses he's played in that Priest Premier Guitar Rig Rundown.

12. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I bought one, it had so many problems that I will never buy another tribute. I don't know how it made it out of the factory. I sent it back, bought a used mim 60s fender, and turned it into this with fralin pickups. Couldn't be happier. 20210325_171126.jpg 20210704_172202.jpg

Top is the Tribute

Bottom is the fender

13. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

Welcome to TalkBass, Whorehay…

Love me some G&L. Hope you love it and put it through its paces!

Whorehay likes this.
  14. I have a "cheapy" G&L JB2 Tribute and I am amazed with the quality (for the price)... the solid build, bridge, tuners, neck and stock pups. I have a hard time putting it down! 20210623_223823.jpg

JRA, egroeg and SirMjac28 like this.
  15. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    @Whorehay Congrats on ordering a great bass! I’ve got two G&L Tributes and they are awesome! Play yours well

Whorehay likes this.
  16. egroeg

egroeg

Jul 20, 2021
    I didn't know what kind of bass it was either, until I decided I wanted one .
    An American 70s reissue woulda been awesome but it's really expensive and as a beginner I'm pretty sure most of the things that make it that way I wouldn't be able to appreciate. Plus the block markers were the wrong color .
    The Squier 70s CV is what I set out to my local music store to see if they had. They didn't have 1 but they had a Tagima TJB4. It looked every bit the part. Never heard of them, so I went home to do a little internet research and while doing that I found the Tribute.
    Not a ton of info on the Tagima was available, in English anyway and I was concerned that if I ever needed anything for it it may have odd sized parts so... that left the Squier and the Tribute I had stumbled across. Now I'm familiar with theG&L Tribute brand so no concerns there.
    It was almost a coin flip except that the Tribute was about 100+ bucks more expensive but if I had to pick THE thing that made my decision (I couldn't play either, online purchase) it would be the look of the bridge. The Tribute just looked way more substantial. Don't even know how much that matters but to me it looked better and it got me thinking maybe the other parts may be a little "better" too.
    Wow, didn't mean to get so wordy. But right, wrong or indifferent that's how I made the decision.
    Now I gotta wait for it to get here.

Bleecker likes this.
  17. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Great choice, the Tributes are nice!

Whorehay likes this.
  18. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    You must of got a lemon, Tributes are really nice budget basses, everyone I had was anyway, I guess every company will put out lemons here and there..

JeezyMcNuggles, Whorehay and One Way like this.
  19. BASSDROID

BASSDROID Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 22, 2007
    Port Huron, Michigan
    Congrats on the new bass! The G&L saddle lock bridge is one of my favorite features, and it's one of the things that really sets those basses apart.

I love how substantial and solid it is. There are no sharp or angled edges anywhere, making it extremely comfortable if you happen to rest your hand on it (picking, etc.)

One Way, Kukulkan61 and egroeg like this.
  20. ACRock

ACRock Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2018
    SR PA
    Gotta post pics when it arrives!

egroeg likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021