1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ordered my first Sansamp!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by oniman7, Aug 22, 2012.

1. For a while now, I've been getting closer to my perfect gear list. First a Gallien Krueger 400RB with a 410, then an Ernie Ball Musicman 5 string.

Today, for my birthday (the 22nd), my folks ordered me a Sansamp Programmable BDDI from Musicians Friend. I am very excited about it! I've always felt I needed just a little something to boost my sound over the edge, and I think this is it. I've watched every video demo and review I could get my hands on for months, and now I've finally ordered one.

We also ordered some DR Neons and I'm excited to see how the new tone combination works out. I've switched from chasing a trebly tone to a mid-centric growly sound like Tool, Rage Against The Machine, etc.

Just thought I'd share my excitement with Talkbass.

2. Exciting stuff! Sansamp BDDI is my all-around 'gotta have it' pedal. give yourself time to get used to the tone controls. And please, remember that to boost mids all you have to do is cut the treble and bass a bit.

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Long time BDDI user here and I'm pretty sure you're gonna love it.

At first I just used it in-line to my amp to give it some "tubey" warmth but over time I have started going amp-less on certain gigs (bass to BDDI to board). My initial experiments with that setup were mostly small venue jobs but most recently I went that route on an opening gig at a 1,000 capacity venue and it went swimmingly.

Do yourself a favor and search "SansAmp" and/or "SansAmp BDDI" topic on TB... there have been loads of threads on this little device and some great guidance in particular with regard to setting the tone controls (which seem to trip up a lot of new users and took me about 3 yrs to really get dialed in myself).

Good luck!

4. Yeah, I know a lot of guys have told me they basically leave it running non stop.

I'm thinking I'm going to have a fat, clean boost channel, an agressive over drive channel, and either a bright clean (think slap) channel, or very aggressive distortion blend. Maybe even fuzz.

My rig is shaping up to be a formidable one :hyper:

5. One question I have: If the knobs can change for each channel (the programmable 3 channel one) how does it save the different channels? For instance, if I have the treble cranked all the way up, and then go to another channel where I wanna cut it below half, how does it save it?

I assume it will save where the knob was, but what if I accidentally bump it a little out of place? Say I've got it on the setting where the treble is cranked, but the knob is physically at half because that is the last setting I saved. Will bumping it the tiniest bit make the pedal assume I'm editing the sound and set it to the new setting? Or does it have an "edit mode" of sorts?

6. Basically, the editing mode is always on and settings don't get saved unless you double tap the footswitch, which saves the current tweaking to the channel you picked. the double tap has to be done sort of quick so I don't think there is a problem with accidentally overwriting a setting.

A cool feature I figured out when I got mine is that the channel LED flashes a certain speed when you change a setting. For example, your treble knob is saved to the middle position on channel one; Once you turn the knob either direction, the LED light flashes and the further away you are from the saved setting, the slower the light flashes. It lights up solid once its turned to the original setting, pretty nifty!
    And from what I can tell, you can tweak all the knobs and save it once you're done, you don't have to save each time you adjust one knob.

7. Wow, that is really awesome!

Part of me is excited to finally have a sturdy, all metal pedal. There's so much to love about this thing. Hope it lives up to expectations.

We ordered it Tuesday afternoon with 2 day shipping, and MF is usually pretty good about that, so I really hope to get it tomorrow (not likely) or Friday (much more likely) and use it at practice on Saturday

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah these things are built like tanks. I'm going on 4 or 5 years with my BDDI and have not had a single problem under pretty heavy use. At some point I lost one of the knobs, but that's my bone-headedness... the device itself has been 100% reliable.

And if you have a board that can provide phantom power, you don't even need the AC cord or 9v battery (though I would recommend always keeping a fresh battery in there as backup anyway).

9. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    Also, one advice I could give is to write down your settings. It can keep only 3 in memory and after a while, you might want to go back to a previous one.