Ordered my second Bongo...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, May 1, 2004.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I finally placed my order for a new Bongo yesterday. Now I just have to wait until mid July for it to show up.

Here are the specs:

--5 String unlined fretless (a first?)

--white with abalone pickguard (and, I'll probably pick up a tort guard before it arrives, too)

--single coil/humbucker/piezo pickups

Once it arrives, it'll be fitted with a Roland GK-2B pickup to drive my VBass--just like my fretted 5 string Bongo. You wouldn't believe some of the sounds I've been able to get by mixing the Bongo tone with the VBass sounds--absolutely outstanding! :hyper:

I played my 5 string last night for the majority of my 3 hour gig, and it sounded amazing. I can't wait until I have two Bongos on stage. :D
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  3. I'll attest to that.. :bassist:
    The Bongo is too cool for school. I can't wait to see this fretless one.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You have a sickness, Jason.
  5. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Who's Joe?? and who is Jason??:confused:
  6. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Cool! I thought I heard a rumor that fretless Bongo's were not in the making.

Apparently thats changed??

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think the Joe in question is Joe Nerve, a person on the fourm that really wants a Bongo, and I imagine Jason is the person in this thread who just bought his second Bongo.
  8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You are correct. Originally, they weren't going to release a fretless version. But, that was just a ruse to get me to buy a fretted one. THEN, they changed their minds and went ahead and made the option available.

See here:
  9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yes, I do. I am proudly afflicted with Bongoitis.

Coincidentally, the purchase of this fretless Bongo changes the plans for another of my basses.

My US Curbow 5 string (originally slated to be defretted) will now simply be refinished, and then strung up with TI flats (tuned EADGC). I really liked when I had this bass set up this way before, and I think the TIs are a good match for the Bart/EMG setup in that bass. The curbow will probably get more live playing time, too, when I can know that I will always have at least one Bongo at every gig from now on....

That's a very comforting thought.