1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ordered some GHS pressure wounds today!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pbassmanca, Jan 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy... Supporting Member

Well I came across a video of the great Dave Pomeroy endorsing GHS pressure wound strings. He says they're actually his favourite bass string and he keeps them strung up on 20 - 25 of his basses! So based on the sound of them in the YouTube video and my own delightful impulsiveness, I popped on a set (.106 - .044). I've really been struggling with the idea of finding a great balance between the thump and mellowness of flatwounds, and the great cut through - mids of rounds. I use flat wound and round wound strings on many of my basses but these particular strings are likely going to go on a Fender sort of Franken-American Series P Bass that I have, that has a maple fretboard and a lightweight alder body. (And the smoothest most killer neck of all time...:smug:) This bass has a Seymour Duncan SPB1-1 pickup and I'm really hoping that these pressure wounds find me that perfect balance of the tones that I love between flats and rounds. I know not one set of strings can do it all but surely with all the string choices out there something can get you as close as possible, right? Does anybody use these strings and have any thoughts or experiences with them? Thanks folks!

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I've been using them for years and love them.
    Pro tip - Ken Smith Compressor Wounds - essentially the same string, usually available for less $$

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have been using GHS Pressure wound strings Pretty much for 10 years and have tried others here and there and Always come back to the Pressure wounds . They Have good Highs definition without being too twangy and a deep smooth Bottom end with good mids. Kind of a cross between Flats and rounds.

Spidey2112, mikew31 and Pbassmanca like this.
  5. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy... Supporting Member

That is exactly the description of what I am after!

TonyP- and Spidey2112 like this.
  6. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Good man! But you believed Dave Pomeroy and not many of us?!!:D

You will like them. I just put another set on my '62 Jazz. They are killer on my '00 Fender Precision Hotrod (factory) and a modern take on a '55 Precision. They sound great on maple. Lows, non-honky mids and just enough clarity and bite. I prefer flats and they are the closest things to flats I've played--but they have something extra going on as well.

Arthur U. Poon and Pbassmanca like this.
  7. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    +1 Pressuewounds are one of my go to strings for passive Fenders, they have a higher tension for a round, which some like if use to flats. I like the ML's

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. Everything you need to know is right here in this thread, but you'll find out for yourself soon enough. Only a very few don't like them. Review: GHS Pressurewounds ~ Tangy Not Twangy

9. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Great strings. Just be patient. They are somewhat bright at first, but mellow out nicely as they break in.

Arthur U. Poon, Pbassmanca and Linnin like this.
  10. mikew31

mikew31 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Superior, WI
    GHS Pressurewounds are my favorite strings by a wide margin. I've got them on a Squire VM Jazz with stock pups, and 2 PBasses that both have EMG Geezer Butler pups. On all three basses they sound fantastic, exactly as described by Nighttrain1127. I gig the Pbasses and play through a Genz Benz ST900 into 2 Barefaced SCs and the sound is huge! The strings are great for all styles of music that I play - all rock based from classic, to blues, to pop, to hard rock. They fit the bill for me for as close to a do-it-all string as I could find.

11. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    What is the metal they are wrapped with? I've been using D'Addario half rounds. They're nickle I believe. But I'm curious about the pressure wounds.

12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    My wife ordered me a set for Christmas that finally just arrived the other day. I’m a diehard Lo Riders fan but I still like trying different strings once in a while and these will be going on my Stingray 5HH, my favorite bass. For me, Lo Riders on my Stingray is a mighty high bar to clear, so it’ll be interesting to see how they do.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I love GHS strings I use Boomers on all of my basses but I think I;m going to grab a set o0f these Pressure Wounds.

14. digmeout

digmeout

Oct 21, 2012
    Arizona
    I tried a set a year ago after reading the thread posted above by Linnin, and I now have 3 basses strung with them. I play passive Fenders and I love the way I can go from a flatwound sound to a rounds sound with a twist of the tone knob. Very versatile strings.

btmpancake, RNG1, Pbassmanca and 2 others like this.
  15. I used them for a while. They sound awesome in both sides of the spectrum. Great lows, strong mids and enough highs. I stop use them because they have to much tension. I use them for church and after a service my fingers hurt a lot. I use now nickels.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have gotten two sets of lightly used Pressurewounds and loved them. I just replaced them after a year and with a brand new set and they are much brighter than I expected.

Pbassmanca and Linnin like this.
  17. Just play them in and they'll tone down in time.

Joedog and Pbassmanca like this.
  18. :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: I take it the Steve Harris and James Jamerson strings are not for you. ;)

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. Nope at all. I used labellas flatwounds. Same results.

Bones1450 and Pbassmanca like this.
  20. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    9BAC13DE-82EA-4B7B-A7C4-C884205E4BBD. That’s whats on this, sounds just like the bass you will be putting on the GHS PW...

Pbassmanca and Linnin like this.