Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ordered the parts for my new PC.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    P4 2.4
    512 DDR-333
    geforce 4 ti4200 128MB DDR
    845ge chipset mainboard 533fsb
    some cheap ass tower case.
    Ball bearing fans.
    400 watt power supply

Everything else is coming out of my old PC
    audiophile sound card
    WD 13gig
    MAXTOR 80 gig
    wires, cables, etc.

I can't wait for it all to show up.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    though I'm a Mac-user at heart, I do work with some pcs from time to time, and have grown to appreciate various qualities about them, most notably the abilty to make your own, I really like this...but oh well..I'm getting a powerbook g4 soon enough so thats just dandy.

at anyrate, have you considered getting rounded IDE cables? (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/casemods/37ef/)
    I just got some for my brother's pc that he's building, they are pretty cool...reduce a lot of heat and clutter.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Interesting idea, I'll have to take a look at it.

4. I second the rounded cable recommendation. They don't just look cool but help to improve the airflow in your case and reduce the clutter.

You might want to consider a good quality case. Looks aside, a well-designed case will make your life easier if you have to spend any time inside it and the better cases usually have nice features such as extra fans for cooling.

One last thing to consider is noise reduction foam that comes in adhesive sheets and doesn't cost much. You line the interior panels with it to help make your PC as quiet as possible.

Enjoy the new box!

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    By cheap I mean nothing to look at, I did go for easy access and space. I skipped the window and lights though. The foam is a great idea! I think I will do that. You've both convinced me on the IDE cables as well.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i got this case:

CLICKY!

and it rocks so, so, so hard. sure it's only a 300w ps but that has 220w over the 3.3 and 5v rails, that's better than some 500w supplies iv'e seen!
    awesome drive rail system, great paint, no sharp edges, and CHEAP.

i just built my system, finished last week.

athlon xp1800 (will be clocked @ 2ghz soon)
    512mb samsung pc2700
    gigabyte ga-7vaxp board
    120gb WD special edition hard drive
    antec 80mm exhaust fan
    and a bunch of stuff from my old computer (floppy, cd burner, cd drive, etc)

i'm going to go to the rounded IDE cables, too much clutter right now. i was also thinking about going with the acoustic lining but i was concerned about heat.

oh yeah - total cost: 550 bucks :)

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Forget IDE all together.

If you are building you own PC, let it all hang out and just go SCSI.

:D

8. Originally posted by LiquidMidnight

Forget IDE all together.

If you are building you own PC, let it all hang out and just go SCSI.

I have a SCSI subsystem in my machine, hardware RAID actually. It's nice but unless you really need the features and performace it's expensive.

Now internal fibre channel like the Sun Blade workstations have... that's nirvana!

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Sure, but how much are those again? :D

10. Originally posted by Blisshead

Sure, but how much are those again?

With a decent spec. it will probably cost as much as a couple of JT's basses. ;)

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    So, about four million dollars then?

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Scsi.....that was my DJ name back when I used my turntables for evil(I've since turned good)

it was actually DJ Scuzzy(playing off of scsi) my MC name was MC Square...this I still use when I freestyle with my friends.

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    A third nomination for the round IDE...i regret not using them in my own PC i built this last summer. Word of advice-if you runnign windows XP and any kind of graphics software or high end games, get TWO sticks of 512 DDR 333 cause XP USES 256 mb JUST TO RUN ITSELF, I HATE IT!!!. That's what i put in mine and I love it. If oyu end up not liking your case for any odd reason, check out Antec's full tower line...they range up to 450 watts and have nice air flow and accessability, as well as quick-release drives. And one more important thing..USE AS MANY FANS AS YOU CAN CRAM IN THERE!!!! I spent $1600 on my set-up and it hauls..(athlon 2100 XP, 1 gig DDR, 40x burner, dvd, radeon 64 mb all-in-wonder accelerator card, 5.1 surround sound, 430 watt power supply-no need for a heater in my basement!-and your same 80 gig maxtor..its a beautiful drive!

14. Yep, round cables rock... Another great case is the AOpen HQ-08. Affordable and very practical. I have one, mods include one 120mm side fan(intake), one 80mm front fan (intake) 2x80mm rear fans (out), red CCD-tubes and blue power/hdd leds.

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    After reviewing my order, it seems that I did order yellow round cables. I also accidentaly ordered a beige floppy bezel for a black case. Oh well. My co-worker suggests that this is an opportunity for a mod. Any ideas?

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Paint it Midnight Blue.

17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I was thinking about neon green.

18. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I Really like SuperMicro Cases.. I myself own a SuperMicro 750-A Full tower and it rocks my world.. I haven't done much computer upgrading but here are my specs that i've built.

Case: SuperMicro 750-A
    Processor: AMD AthlonXP1700 1466MHz @ 1531MHz
    Motherboard: Iwill XP333
    Heatsink: OCZ Goliath Heatsink - Whisper Quiet Fan
    Ram: OCZ 512MB PC2700 Ram
    Power Supply: Antec 400w Power Supply
    Hard Drive(s): Fujitsu MAN3184 18.4GB 10025RPM Ultra160 SCSI HD
    SCSI Card: LSi Logic 21040 Ultra160 Controller
    Video Card: PNY GeForce2Ti 64MB DDR
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1+
    CDROM: Sony 52X CDrom
    CDROM 2: YAMAHA 2100SZ SCSI 16x10x40 CD-RW Drive
    NetworkCard: 3COM 905C Ethernet Networkcard
    Monitor: Sony Trinitron 21" Monitor

I am planning to upgrade sometime soon :)

DM