Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Well the GAS is on I order the SWR Triad bass cab today in hopes it will give me a more full range sound on stage. But changing cabs ( using a Hartke 4.5 now ) also creates another problem. My little EV dynacord power amp (250 watt) bridged into 8 ohms, won't work at 4 ohms. (not recommended in the manual) So now I have to dig out a QSC USA 850 I have in the shed in a case somewhere. It puts out about 900 watts into 4 ohms bridgs (should kick butt) Its a 3 rack space and the dynacord is a 1 rack space. Another problem. All the gas is becomming a pain in the @ss.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I hope you kept the Hartke.
    The Triad might be too quiet as a standalone.

I have one and I dearly miss at least anm additional 2x10".
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sounds like the QSC is the way to go. The Triad likes a lotta watts. Hope you turn out to be one of the ones who like this cab, GreyB. It's different, that's for sure. In the right signal chain, they're very good.

JMX, what did you drive your Triad with that made you think it wasn't loud enuff? 750 watts into 4 ohms is about the minimum needed to wake it up, despite its rating.
  4. heck, i still have my sunn 200s. and cab. one of these days my wife is gonna make sell all this junk. All I need a cab for is monitoring on stage, we always go through a PA with a sound man. It sould be plenty loud enough.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it's a great sounding cab, but really needs (and can easily take) double its watt rating to be loud enough.

but it is a GREAT sounding cab!
  6. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    My friend has a Triad and a Workingman's 4004, and it is quite loud. Really really loud. Maybe its just a perception thing, but it made me consider dumping my 2x10 and 2x12 for a Triad.
  7. Most bass cabs have a pronounced lower midrange peak. The Triad is setup more like a PA or Studio Monitor and has a much flatter responce. I gonna be using a Line6 Pod Pro with it and the amp modeling simulates that upper midrange bump so things should ( i say should ) sound about right. I've got my fingers crossed.
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, some do, anyway. But not the really "hi-fi" cabs. Bergantinos don't, for instance.

Good luck with the Pod Pro. I've got one that sits in the garage. I'll get around to ebaying it eventually. Never could get anything remotely resembling a natural sound out of it.

At the risk of sound discouraging, I'd say buying a flat-response cab and then trying to simulate a colored tone out of it with digital modeling is sorta, well, weird. But whatever floats yer boat, mate.
  9. Yea, I've gotta a shed full of stuff too. I'm not really trying to simulate those old amps ( I really don't remember what they really sounded like 60's-70's you know ;) ) but I have been using the pod on jobs with my Hartke and I do like what it can do. During the course of a job I only use 4 different patches + compression and I'm having fun. I've used the POD quite a bit in my studio and I feel that it IS the way to go when recording. It sounds so much better than plugging straight into the board. I'm hoping that the TRIAD with its hi-fi sound will sound better to me ON STAGE. What is going to the FRONTS through the POD is outstanding according to the sound engineers. They like it a lot better than what was comming through my Alembic directout.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Gotta agree with ya there. I've also found the POD effective for recording although lately I've gone back to the old reliable Sansamp Bass Driver DI.