Ordering a custom bass...Here's what I wanna get...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acacia, Aug 30, 2000.

1. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Being a metal man, I have always been drawn toward reverse headstocks. And being in love with the Fender Jazz basses, I think I am gonna custom order a jazz with a reverse headstock. I am deciding on the pickup set up that I want though. Whether to go for active jazz pups, or do the p-deluxe combo.

I know it sounds silly and will be a bit pricey, but it's one of those things I wanna do. Know what I mean? Of course I am just tossing the idea around. I guess I should get a 2nd job first, eh?

I will also be getting a Black "P" with the Chrome pickguard on of these days...Long live Phil's memory. :D
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    For that.. Get a Sadowsky..
  3. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sadowsky? for what?
  4. Exactly! Like Sadowsky would do a reverse headstock.. can you imagine that? And I don't think you wanted to spend three grand!
    I'd get a good 'ol passive Jazz-type bass, I don't know who makes reverse headstocks though.. maybe check with Warmoth and see if they have a neck like that. I know Carvin only does reverse headstocks on g**tars.
  5. [Why don'cha just get a lefty bass (or just a lefty neck if you don't want to reverse the body)Change the nut,and string it backwards?
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    This guy named "J" from the band Luna Sea has a bass that looks like a Fender Jazz Bass, but its made by ESP.. Its a Lefty bass, with the nut, neck, bridge etc. for righty :) so its like a lefty bass for a righty. looks pretty cool. but I don't know why you want it.. because you don't get that reach on the Gstring.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, sean try the dual - music man pickup approach, sorta like the g&l, or the old sabres - a music-man style double coil in the place of each single on a jazz bass. that would _rule_ for metal. sound like a pi$$ed off, drunk harley. :D you could also get coil taps on each pickup and get a very good approx of a dual jazz or a p-jazz config. all in one.

also, the lefty neck idea is a good one - get a new nut, and there ya go.
  8. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Warmoth makes necks where the headstock is not pre-cut, so you can cut it yourself to any shape you want. Think they call them 'paddles'...they just leave a nice big rectangular piece of wood for headstock so you can shape it yourself.
  9. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Doing some research, Fender will customize the reverse headstock and have the logo turned right side up.

But you're right John. Just get a lefty neck and have the nut redone. Maybe I'll go that route when I decide to do it. And thanx for the idea on the pups.
  10. Hey, The lefty neck and reverse nut, that was MY Idea!!! I said it first! Waaahhhhh!!!!;)
  11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yes, i coped reedo's idea. sorry. :( :D still though, the double-humbucking, drunken, pissed off harley pickup thing was mine :D
  12. Thank you (sniff) I feel so much better now.
  13. What do you mean by 'reverse headstock'? What's dat?
  14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    an inline headstock where the keys are on the bottom instead of the top is called an inline headstock.
  15. Is that just for coolness or does it have another purpose?
  16. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The reverse headstock has two purposes:

1) The lower strings receive a longer scale length, which improves tension and tone; and

2) The left hand can tune the strings without having to reach over the top of the neck.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The length of the scale is not affected by the orientation of the headstock.

18. Yeah, What about that Steinberger design that was so popular? If there was any difference, it was minimal.
  19. I would think that the scale length is between the nut and the bridge. Is that right? If the reverse headstock gives the low strings a longer length past the nut, how would that effect the sound? One earlier post sort of said that Sadowsky wouldn't make a bass with a reverse headstock. Why wouldn't they?
  20. I got another question. If you were to use the lefty neck to get your righty reverse headstock why would you need to get the nut redone? Couldn't the lefty nut just be turned around? (as long as you got it out without breaking it)