Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ordering a G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whitebread, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    Howdy everyone, this is my first real post in years, and I'm hoping for some advice. I've been lusting after an L-2000 for a long time now and after looking around for a used one, I have come to the conclusion that would be better for me to order exactly what I want now rather than buying whatever I can find for sale and down the line having to buy another that I like better.

Unfortunately the only store I have found that sells G&L's in my area doesn't have any L-2000's in stock. From playing some of the others they had in stock (ASAT, SB-2, L-1500) I have come up with some idea of what I want, but am not quite sure:

L-2000
    #6 or 8 neck with satin finish
    plain maple fretboard
    premier finish, leaning towards natural gloss (I like the look and sound of ash)

The SB-2 (I think that's what it was, p+j pickups) had a really nice neck on it, I think the #6, but I haven't been able to compare it with the #8. If anyone has an opinion or advice on necks or finishes (preferably with pictures) it would be appreciated.

Oh, and does anyone knows anyplace other than BassNW and Buffalo Bros. to check with for price?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I can really appreciate what you want to do but if there's a chance that you might not keep it forever I'd be patient and buy used. As a matter of fact, even if you plan on keeping it forever I'd recommend buying used. Of all the basses that I've purchased (and there's been many) no bass depreciated as much as the G&L basses that I've owned. There's some great deals on G&L's out there too. Just keep checking bassgear.com and harmonycentral.com.