1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ordering a UB Hawkes Laminated Double Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Blacksheep, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    What else should I order? I want to play classical, so I know Im ordering a bow, probably a French one, and they ship in the bag. But other than that, what would be important?

List so far..

-An Instrument (3/4 size)
    -Bag and Shipping
    -Bridge Adjusters
    -Uprade to Dominant Strings
    -UB Workshop Bow (Just one, French or German, undecided)
    -Rosin

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Your list looks quite complete. If you are unsure of which style of bow to get, then that suggests to me that you have not begun to play. I'd hold off picking a style until you can discuss that with whomever will be your teacher. Also, if you will be playing exclusively classical, you might want to look into a string that is more optimum for arco. I love the Doms but I play mostly jazz pizz.

3. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    What's a good half and half string? Like just as good for both pizz and arco?

4. i'd suggest springing a bit extra for the hybrid, particularly since you're pursuing a classical thing. will probably be better for it in the long haul.

jeff.

5. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, I love the Doms as a hybrid string (i.e., good for arco and pizz). There are other fine hybrid strings and you should check out the Strings forum. You seemed to indicate that you'd be playing classical rather exclusively. Perhaps that is not what you meant. If if is, then, of course, that would be 99.9% arco and that's why I'd shoot for a string that's optimum for arco. This is not to say that the Doms will not suffice.

Strings really do seem to be a personal thing. For every five players, there are 15 opinions.

By the way, jrlynch is absolutely correct. The hybrid would be a far better choice if you can swing the additional $$$.

6. bassplayer57

bassplayer57

Aug 15, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    I mostly bow, and I use the Original Flexocores. But they are a more expensive string.

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Obligatos are good on the Hybrid, but they die quickly. Spirocore Mittels on the bottom and Obligato on the top would probably be a good bet. Of course, the Spirocores bow nicely on the Hybrid.

8. Bel Cantos

9. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I would order some instrument polish as well. Gosh, this bass is gorgeous when polished.

10. bass dan

bass dan Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2007
    st. simons isl. GA
    a stand is very nice thing to have for home and gigs

11. If you plan on playing pieces that switch from arco to pizz, you might consider a quiver too.

12. mpoppitt

mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    I don't think I could order an Upton and not get those hip hat-peg tuners.

13. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    And rib bumpers while you're at it.

14. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    If you're just starting, I think I'd forget the stand, polish, quiver, hatpegs, bumpers etc and put the money on the hybrid. I'm sure the shop strings will be OK to start with, too.

15. +1 the stock tuners upton uses are VERY nice ... i really don't see the need for the other. personally, i think bumpers are ugly. specify the strings you want and they'll score them for you, and credit you, as i recall 150ish toward them.

16. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Polish? It's 11 bucks. That doesn't get you too far towards the $1000 difference between Laminate and Hybrid.

The card that came with my Upton Laminate Hawkes recommended polishing the bass once a month, only with Old No. 1. If I knew this at the time, I would've ordered polish at the same time as the bass. Shipping the polish separately costs about as much as the polish itself.

Stand? Agreed. I wish I would've ordered 5 jars of polish instead of the stand. I gave my stand to a friend, who seems happier with it than I was.

17. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I agree about the stand; a corner works better for me. As for the polish, never used it and probably never will. A slightly dampened cloth every few weeks to remove the dust is all. Unless they recommend it for removing rosin, I think it's unnecessary.
    If you must have bumpers, the V belt is a cheap alternative that does the trick and doesn't look too bad. Many prior posts on this.

18. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Seems to me if you are one who polishes his bass, you'd also want a stand unless you leave the bass on the floor or in the case. I always found that leaning the bass in a corner led to scuffing up the sides. While I polish my bass only occasionally (opting for the soft cloth most of the time), I wouldn't be without a stand both at home and at a gig. Then again, I'm pretty much at the extreme when it comes to bass-care. Despite years of carting it all around, it looks essentially the same as the day I got it new.

19. bass dan

bass dan Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2007
    st. simons isl. GA
    to me the stand is really important unless your not taking it out of the house. i take mine to parks, bars, friends houses and its always nice to know where im going to park this thing when there is a break in the action. especially if your going to be gigging with it, bars are sketchy places to try and find a safe spot to park a bass. but to each his own.

20. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Yup, I guess there are two kinds of bass owners. Although I take care of my bass, it is meant to be played and when it gets a scratch I don't worry about it. As far as a place to park it on a gig, there is either a corner or the floor. I would never carry a stand.