Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ordering (custom) basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chiliwilli, Jul 16, 2002.

1. I'm makin a big trip out to guitar center tonite -- i'm super excited cous i'm getting hooked up w/ the bass of my choice for a late birthday present!! (Shhhwiiiinnngg!! :D ) I guess that means the possibilties are endless , but, yeah right...

(BTW this is technically going to be my first bass)

I decided i really want a musicman stingray, 3 eq -- with a woodsy sort of color to it, perhaps sunburst.. But, when i called gc yesterday, they said they only had two 4 string stingrays: Black, or gold... :(
    I wasn't thinking about black... definitly not gold either..

Is there a way to, i guess, order basses when your there?? y'know, like, tell 'em what u want and they'll get it for you in like a couple weeks or something? if so, would it be more costly/ a bigger bitch than what its worth? should i just keep looking?? so confuused, and still learning :(

I'd appreciate any help!

2. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    chiliwilli,
    i'm from cleveland,too.

are you going to the guitar center on the east side (mayfield) or the west side (north olmstead)? you might want to call both stores to see if either one of them have more options for you.

3. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    there's a long wait if you custom order from eb, generally 3 - 5 month or so. i'd give bass central a call (i believe they have quite a few in stock) and see if they have what you're looking for (yeah, cheap plug, but they're great to deal with). there's also a number of other companies to order from on-line...

jdkh

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...someone call me????

:D

chili, check your PM's!

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's not really ordering a custom bass, it's just ordering a bass. Check all the major bass stores, Bass Central, Bass Northwest, Bass Palace, Bass Alone, etc, and maybe one of them will have what you need. :)

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It'll be a cryin' shame if you don't throw your business to Gard and Bass Central(or, at the very least an independent retailer). Don't let what happened to LA Bass Exchange (assuming that is true--I haven't been following the thread) happen to any other bass only stores. Why make the Board of Directors of Guitar Center more money when they can't even staff their stores with people who don't realize that flatwound strings are not a brand?

Besides, I remember Gard complaining earlier this month about having to move around all of the basses so they could fit all of the Musicmans they have on the floor for a picture. So, give him a call!

Disclaimer--no commercial interest, just a satisfied customer who likes dealing with bass salesmen who also happen to be bass players.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I feel you bassmonkeee.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The LABX thing is real, sadly. :( I do appreciate the plug, not just for us here at BC but all the independents. You really can't get the level of service at the "supermarket" shops, not to mention you really don't get a better price.

All 120+ of 'em (counting Stingray 4's, Sterlings, & Stingray 5's)!!!! :eek: :D

Agreed - even if someone doesn't buy from us, I would hope that they at least try to do business with an independent dealer. If all the smaller, high customer service shops die...:eek:...

...well, let's not think about it, ok? ;)

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    just for the record i was in the same position your in last summer. My local dealer, who treats me real real well, carries MM basses. That has been my dream bass for about 5 years now so i saved up the cash and got the exact one i wanted. I ordered it, i think it took like 4 monthes or so to get, but it was worth the wait cuz i got exactly what i wanted. Im glad i ordered from my local dealer, but i hadnt heard of bass central at that point and they actually had my exact bass. Ive never ordered sumthing from them, but Gard seems like one of the nicest guys around. Hes been very helpful answering questions from "non-buyers". I would say buying from bass central would be your best bet cuz if they dont what you want, which is doubtful, they always have a ton of basses on order, meaning youll get what you want faster than if you order it yourself.

10. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    hey wud up man
    so your gettin a custom bass. I cant change your mind or anything my i had a musican man sterling model that i got for my birthday awhile ago. About a month ago i got a custom 5 string warwick and its like that bass i have ever played. You should try one, the tone on them is endless. peace:)

11. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I think you can go onto the Ernie Ball website and get an inventory of shops in your area. Give that a try.

12. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Go to the Ernie Ball website , dealer locator . Enter your zip code , it will list all the dealers in your area. Click on the dealer and the inventory list will appear. Click on the discription and a picture of the bass will come up.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    How is it custom?

14. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    its a custom 5 string. fna and corvette proline mix. it has 3 diffrent types of wood on the body alone. gloss wood finish. honey color. awesome bass

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you can't find what you're looking for at bass central you could also try chuck levin's in MD. Supposedly they have a whole basement full of EB's.

16. I'm glad to see everyones having so much fun with my thread! :D

Thank u guys for clearin up a really smokey subject - -
    The search continues to find the best bass...

(( MM Sterling Pearl White body w/ red tortishell pickgaurd, 3eq maple neck! )) Oohhh goddd :p The music that could be made!