Ordering Lakland Skyline unseen - would you do it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tristan, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Yep! They are very consistent

13 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No! Never buy a bass without playing it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am interested in a Skyline DJ-4 and am also frustrated at the local used market and lack of interesting basses at local stores... I have been looking for a while.

So... I am considering ordering one sight unseen. This would be through a local B&M store though, and they sell almost exclusively higher-end guitars (Lakland Skyline is pretty much cheapest they carry), so I expect I'd get decent treatment if things went south...

I've heard good things, but I had to return two Ibanez premiums that I order from a different store due to quality issues.

What say you guys?

Edit: I am familiar with the tone and feel of Jazz basses and have tried a 44-02 (whose neck is a little different), but there shouldn't be any surprises in that department at least.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I have done it twice. Kept one of them.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Since you seem to be OK with gambling a little money, it might be worth it to have a road trip to see one.

4. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks. Did the one not stick around due to quality issues?

5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Technically, it didn't stick around due to divorce. However, it was on the fence anyway due to a very quiet A on the 7th fret of the D string.

Fwiw, I think Laklands are some of the best players out there. The ones I kept though, went through pickup and electronics swaps to get them to sound right to me. The 4402 I parted with would have gone through the same thing.

Plenty of guys love the way they sound, though, and they definitely don't sound bad.

6. Shadoof

Shadoof

Mar 9, 2014
    I own one and have played several - granted, most were at Bass Central and I would expect them to keep their stock in good playing condition, but still. Between my experience and all the good things I've heard from others, I wouldn't hesitate to buy unseen from a reputable dealer. Plus, you have the local store to return it to in case there is an issue, so I don't think there's any risk for you.

7. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I would, and I do. More fun that way!

Besides, I try not to visit muso stores, despite being virtually surrounded by them.

walldaja likes this.
  8. I would and I have. Got a first-year Skyline Duck Dunn and I love it. It's been my main player ever since. It was Korean, but the newer Indonesian Skylines I've seen and played also are killer.

OlSkewl56 likes this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks for all the replies everybody. I will probably go for it.

10. I currently own two Lkland Skylines and have owned a few others that I sold, not because of quality issues but because something else caught my eye. I never played any of them before buying and never had a problem with any except for the very first 5501 that I got used on Ebay. That one developed a problem with the rmapo that Dan Lakin took care of at no charge, even though the bass was used. It was an early model from when they used Gotoh tuners. Without exception, they have been great players that needed very few tweaks to make them conform to what I like in playability. For the most part, they needed nothing but string changes and harmonics setup.

11. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I've done it four times.. Kept three.

55-64 - "Practically Perfect in Every Way"

55-60 - Needed some work but now it's great

55-AJ - Preamp was faulty. Sent it back

55-01 Deluxe - Great bass stock. Installed US Bart pups & pre. I doubt a US model would sound much better

12. gotfunk21

gotfunk21 Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Portland, OR
    In my experience, the weight is the biggest question mark. You don't have to worry about a preamp on the DJ, and Lakland necks are reputable. I've had to have a little fretwork done just due to frets popping a little bit as the bass climatizes to a new environment (depends where it's coming from)

But if you can be assured it won't be an 10.5lb beast, for sure I'd bet it'll be a solid player.

13. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Absolutely not. I've returned three Skylines and gave up on the line a long time ago. There's fit, finish, and build problems that simply don't happen with other builders.

14. Bought my 55-60 that way. No regrets. Got a NOS in a discontinued color and it's a fantastic bass!

15. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I have ordered several Skylines this way and have NEVER had an issue.

I think you will be fine...and will LOVE the bass!

16. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    I would say check out the return policy first going retail but buying a bass sight unseen is pretty common these days with internet shopping and all.. .. I would also say if you are considering a Skyline, check out the Brubaker Brutes.. I have had a chance to play 3 Skylines.. and actually owned two.. I still have one... IMO if going the Skyline route a Brubaker Brute is very competitive and in some ways actually better.
    Especially if you intend to mod it..

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015