Ordering my new Carvin today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrettAM, Oct 11, 2002.

1. It's going to be an LB70 with the following customizations:
    Piezo bridge
    Rounded body sides
    Gold Hardware
    Abalone dot inlays
    Stacked humbuckers
    Mahogany neck and body
    Flame Koa top
    Koa hedstock overlay

What do you guys think?:D

EDIT: forgot to mention the straplocks and the hipshot detuner
  2. Make sure you get a 5 piece neck. I have heard of stability issues with the one piece necks. I had a Carvin LB75 with the 5 piece Maple/Koa neck and never had to make truss rod adjustments. I think you will really enjoy this bass, Carvin makes outstanding instruments.
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    sounds good.
    I have an all mahogany BB75, it sounds very warm. Also has 2 H50 stacked HB's.

How come no HB splittable p'up? The MM style? No likey? I had an LB70p w/ the big HB p'up, sounded really good!

You're going to love the piezo! Great timbre, wide dynamic range. Makes for a very versatile bass.

No-show neck thru, or you like the stripes?
    I like a full top, but that's just me...

Gonna call it in? I would. You get what you get if you order it from the site. Talk to Sean or somebody, you can request what shade of Koa you'd like...some if it is really light-colored these days.
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Congrats Brett!!

I couldnt be happier with the two Carvins I have!
  5. So, you're getting the piezo bridge and not the HB2 pickup at the bridge? I didn't know that was possible. It really sounds great though! My LB75 has Koa wings, and the Koa is a beautiful lighter shade.:cool: I'm sure the Flame Koa will look even better! I just hope the colors of the Koa and Mahogany go well together.
  6. I've never played one with the MM style pup, but I played one with the stacked hb's and liked it, so I figured I'll just buy what I know I like. I'm going to go for a full top, I don't much like the stripes. I think now that you suggested it I'll go ahead and call it in! I'm very excited!
  7. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    boo on the HB2 option.... it's quite lacking and very muddy in the mids section IMO.. but carvin basses are the best playing basses i've played. I hope you enjoy it.
  8. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    awesome! I had a LB20 fretless and loved it.. stupid of me to sell it :(

9. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Hi Falsehood, Mark here;
    I was just wondering what the specs on the bass you played w/ the HB were...I found the p'up to be quite MM-ish on the bass I had. Very similar in fact. I thought it sounded pretty good. Mine was koa wings w/ a 5 pc maple/koa neck.

Your observations could help me in my ongoing quest to figure out what factors make the most difference in the 'voice' of a particular bass.
    thanks in advance!
  10. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    This was a happy day back in 1995 when I ordered mine. Workhorse for 5 years straight. Sold it in search of the Holy Grail.;)
  11. Have you found your holy grail yet?
  12. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Probably, but I've always wanted a real Rickenbacker.;)
  13. :D ::Walks off to play his Ricky::
  14. FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
  15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    A lever on the E string tuner that drops it D with a flick of it's lever (assuming you are tuned to E)

[edit] Oh yea... good luck with the Carvin. I bought my LB75 in 90 and used it almost exclusively till 97. I only ditched it because I quit playing for a while and needed the $$$ for school.[/edit]