Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ordering my new rig today!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Feb 15, 2002.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Whoo hoo! Finally got my bonus check from work (we actually posted a profit and met all metrics this year in spite of all the turmoil--I consider myself very lucky).

Once Gard wakes up from his all nighter, and drags himself to Bass Central, I'll be ordering a new Demeter HBP-1 Preamp, and an Aguilar 1x12" cabinet. Hopefully, it should be here by the middle of next week.

I can't wait...

2. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I'm jealous! I've had a yearning for a Demeter preamp for a couple of years, but three kids sort of made my bonus check (and every other check) disappear! :D Be careful driving around the Snellville-Grayson area though; you wouldn't want the Demeter to, ahem, "accidentally" fall out of the car while you were getting a bite to eat somewhere! Here's wishing you many happy tones!

3. METAL

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice rig, but one question...

any reason why you went with the Aguilar 1x12 instead of Epifani's or Bergantino's??

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    $200

6. Looks good (I'm looking forward to hearing both). What kind of power amp you gonna use?

7. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    :D Yep. That was one of the main reasons. When I saw the shootout in the newest Bass Player, it clinched it. I'll eventually add a second cab in case I need to get really loud. But, the stuff I have been playing doesn't require me to fight with doublebass drums, or distorto-guitar, so one cab should be plenty.

8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

To start with, I'll be using the poweramp section of my Carvin R600. I'll bypass the preamp completely,so there will be no pre coloration from the Carvin. When I get the second cab in the future, I'll probably upgrade the poweramp, too, but this should be sufficient, and I'll have plenty of headroon with the poweramps bridged.

9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It just showed up at my office. Full report tomorrow. Whoo HOO!!!

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    awesome man! you suck ;) hee hee

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, okay, Mr Got an Amazing Deal on a 6 string Rockwood Curbow....I'm the one who sucks. :D

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ok, i asked for that one. and what a deal it was ;)

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    On Tuesday, my Aguilar 1x12 cab showed up, and so did my Demeter HBP-1. Took them to my old guitar player's house so I could really push the cab.

I hooked the Demeter to the Carvin R600, bypassing the Carvin pre, and plugged the Carvin into the Aguilar. The result?

Nothing. The Demeter sounds like it has a bad tube. I don't panic since I seem to remember the Demeter review in Bass Player mentions a bad tube. Plus, I happen to have a spare 12AX7 with me. So, I take the cover off of the Demeter, and change out the tube. Screw it back together, and plug it all back in.

Nothing. Still sounds like it has a bad tube, but the new tube works fine. The only way to get any sound out of it is to take a line from the effects send output. This bypasses the preamp, and the parametric, so it really isn't an option.

I let out a heavy sigh, and box the preamp back up with the original tube. My guess is a bad tube socket, probably damaged by UPS.

Now, the good.

The Demeter being screwed ended up being a blessing in disguise. I just used the Carvin head with everything set flat and the Aguilar. It sounded AMAZING. No problems whatsoever with the Aguilar sounding "weak" or "underpowered" with the non-aguilar head. And, it held its own against a hammer handed drummer, too.

I used my Curbow Int'l Petite 5 string set up with flats (EADGC). It sounded big, and full down low, and it was the first time stuff on the G and C strings sounded as full as the rest of the bass with other musicians playing. Chords above the 12th fret sounded huge.

When the preamp gets back to Bass Central, I'm just going to get a refund. No need to spend the $700 to improve my sound. I will, after I get some bass stuff squared away, and paid off, probably have Gard send me another 1x12 cab.

1x12 will be more than enough for most live applications, but two would be suficient for the loudest of bands. And, this way I could run stereo cabs on stage.

I knew the Carvin would sound better through the Aguilar than the Carvin 2x10 it came with, but I had NO IDEA it would sound this good.

14. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks for the good report. I think you just won me over to the two Ag 1x12s to use with my Carvin R600. I guess If I run two 1x12s I'll have to use the 1/4" speaker outputs if I Bridge or use the speakon from each side if I go in stereo.
    I basically figured they would sound a lot better than the Carvin cabs.

-KB

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    When I got my Demeter it sounded great......until two weeks later when it blew on a gig:-(

16. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    glad i went db659.

fred