1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ordering new online for the first time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Mar 11, 2016.

1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    After a few years of buying several used basses/guitars online (mostly via GC, all great experiences btw), I think I want to "treat" myself with a brand new instrument :D for a birthday that's coming up

There's only a couple reasons I'm considering going online. One being the only stores around me are Guitar Center, and Sam Ash. Their "new" is different than actually "new". I'm not interested in paying full price for a floor model... And I'm not even sure if any stores in my area carry this particular bass...

So, is it better to go through Fender Direct or a third party website (I.e, Sweetwater)?

Here are the sites that have it;

Chicago Music Exchange

Guitar Center

Musician's Friend

Sam Ash

"FENDER" through Amazon (not really sure about that one)

American Musical

Fender Direct (edit: they're not it stock) so it's really between CME, Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, Sam Ash, Amazon and American Musical.

Same price, same bass.

Which one would you go through and why?

And what should I look out for?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I bought my last bass from zzounds.com They had it for the same price as everyone else and I was able to make 12 CC payments too. It was a very easy transaction and the guitar was exactly as advertised. It's the sunburst one in my avatar a Fender P Bass Special MIA. Also, I have had great luck with Sweetwater too. I always call Dave Brow- he's a bass player too.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'd go with GC or Sam Ash so it's easy to return if necessary.

4. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    That's why I'm leaning towards using one of them. But I heard that GC has a tendency of selling floor models as new even online

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I haven't heard that but it wouldn't surprise me. I'd think new instruments bought online would be shipping from a warehouse, not a store. You could always ask them from where it would be shipping.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  6. Dougie44

Dougie44

Jul 1, 2012
    Michigan
    Check with Sweetwater and basssandiago

Bajo Clarkko likes this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    my best online experiences have been through - in order of good experiences - american musical, musicians friend and guitar center. i've only bought from sam ash in stores, and they're always a bit mixed up but well meaning. i have needed to do a couple returns at AMS, and they were incredibly helpful and very quick - i realize they're part of the guitar center empire, but the reps really want to help. i hear from several people that they use the same reps as MF, but while MF has always been helpful to me, they are slower - AMS gets it done when i need something.

i buy a lot of musical accessories at amazon, but i'd rather order instruments from a store where customer service will know what i'm talking about.

my in store experiences with guitar center have been good - since i live by 7 guitar centers, i only rarely order from them. helpful enough, but i did recently order some strings online that turned out to be on backorder, and it took several days to let me know. it wasn't a problem, but there ya go. in the past five years, i've bought the most new stuff online from american musical - i like their service and the no-credit-check 3 payment plan. just started using sweetwater, and they have very helpful reps, very involved with your questions.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  8. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    If I go with Sweetwater I'm going have to pay shipping and some other charges and wait 2 weeks+... So that eliminates them... For now at least

Turns out American musical doesn't carry any. Amazon would probably be a last resort going off of what @pcake said. So I'm probably going to have to go with Guitar Center and hope it's as advertised

Thanks guys!

9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    odd that sweetwater would charge shipping and other charges... everything i've ever looked at there came with free shipping.

amazon is a consumer-friendly retailer. it's just that if you need to explain an issue to them that's music-related, well, good luck with that.

and nothing wrong with guitar center. they have a great return policy, friendly reps. i don't buy online from them simply because we have so many guitars center stores near our house.

is it a new item?

10. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    It's special order so it's exempt from their (exceptionally awesome!) Free Shipping promotion. Plus it's non-returnable for the same reason. GC may be the way :)

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What is it?

12. Magicrat

Magicrat

Jan 25, 2016
    I have had great experiences with ZZounds both on quality, shipping and price.

FenderJazz1989 likes this.
  13. Sweet Willie

Sweet Willie

Dec 31, 2014
    NY
    Former moderator for now non-active Nordstrand Forum
    ^^^^This^^^^

The answer to that question might affect my response to the original issue.

14. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Last time I checked, Sweetwater was not a GC subsidiary. Was there an acquisition I missed?

15. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    JakeyBran and gjohnson441496 like this.
  16. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I don't know if it's been mentioned but zzounds.com is on point, and they have a return policy that's second to none. I've got two basses off of that site and both came perfectly set up, ahead of schedule and generally flawless.

17. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    and they still aren't. i was just about to go back to sleep, and my mind slipped a cog. i meant AMS.

Rocker949 and okcrum like this.
  18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Sweet water. Bass central

19. joker820

joker820 Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2014
    I would think/hope if you were ordering from GC that the instrument would be brand new. I've ordered used equipment and had it shipped to my local store and that takes noticeably longer than a new item. So that might be one way to tell if they're shipping you a floor model from one of their locations. I'm not saying it's impossible to receive a floor model it just seems improbable. I've ordered a pedal from Chicago music exchange and it was a good experience so Id imagine they're just as honest regarding their instruments. Not sure what the return policy is like so that's definitely something to look at versus the convenience of just dropping it off at your local GC.

FenderJazz1989 likes this.
  20. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Yep. If Sweetwater is not an option, then GC or Sam Ash (because of the return policies).

Rocker949 likes this.