Ordering USA Lakland P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big String, Sep 23, 2004.

1. I'm in the process of securing a Lakland USA P-Bass. I'm definatley getting the Jazz (type A) neck on it. I once had a new Glaub and returned it because the wider 1-3/4 neck was uncomfortable to me and I wanted to try a fretless so I swapped. Since then I've sold the fretless (some other time maybe) and I've been josin' for a passive P. I've got the Joe Osborn and the Sad PJ/4 and love them both, but I sitll want to try a P again. I prefer the Jazz neck and body but there is something about having a passive P that keeps luring me back.

Anyway, I'm unsure about the finger board and color scheme. I usually like rosewood but was looking at the Duck Dunn signature 58-P and it was nice looking, 3 tone sunburst, gold anodized pick guard, and a maple neck...but that was a limited Skyline version. Lots of discussion on Maple vs. Rosewood for tone etc. ??? I don't think it makes a big diff, mostly what you like. Wonder how that would look with a Rosewood instead .... :meh:
    My other choice for now would be a natural body, white guard, rosewood board. Possibly candy apple, white pg and rosewood.
    Comments, discussion... just curious.. thanks for your interest.
  2. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    It is my opinion that the Bob Glaub is the finest p-bass on the planet. I would love to have one, but can't afford it.
  3. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    My favorite looking P is a black bass, black guard, and a mple neck.

4. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I'm pretty sure you can get the Duck Dunn with a rosewood board and inlays too.

I also believe that a US version of the Duck Dunn will follow the Skylines.

Check with the "dude", Steve Barr @ www.thedudepit.com
    (Lakland forum) for best deal anywhere.
  5. Thanks for your comments.
    I believe I can get either neck and any board I choose. I think the gold pick guard is cool and would look great with rosewood too. I do love the look of birdseye maple but prefer the feel of rosewood and I also think flatwounds sound better on rosewood. :bag: I'm starting to think that all my basses are going to have flats before too long... :D
    Anyway it's so hard to choose when one likes so many different combos. My USA Joe is already white with tort guard and rosewood and I love the combination but don't want to get that again. My PJ is Inca Silver with parchment guard and Morado board also yummy looking. I've never been that big a fan of the inlays and binding at least on basses, but I should spend a little more 'drooling' time maybe it will grow on me. I must say you don't see too many rosewoods with inlay, that might be very cool..... I'm sorta liking it as I type.... I also do not want the pickup cover or the wholes to accomodate it. I love the Lakland bridge, it's so massive looking and different.

Another cool thing. My Joe body is active ready with the cavity in the body. I bought it that way because Carl (at Lakland) knows me well and and suggested I take that body "just in case." Carl is wise... I never have made it active and I love the passive tones but if I ever want to I can pop a preamp of choice in there. I might just request the same thing on the new P.
  6. i'm a big fan of lake placid blue. that opens up a lot of options for pickguard, from pearl white to toroise, or even mint. maple or rosewood fingerboards both work. check out this one from lakeland's site:

but perhaps you should consider candy apple red if you're going for a gold anodized pickguard. maple fingerboard would be better in that case, though. check out this fender duck dunn:

i'm also a big fan of shoreline gold. good luck choosing.

7. I've been playing a U.S.A. Lakland BG for about 6 months now - it definitely is THE best P-bass I have ever held and played. I have the 3-color sunburst model with the maple P-wider neck, and it is absolutely comfortable. The Lindy Fralin pickup is the loudest pickup I own. As far as your question regarding maple vs. rosewood - At about the same time I aquired this Lakland U.S.A., I also got a brand new Fender '62 re-issue P-bass in 3-color sunburst and it has a rosewood neck. As far as feel and warmth of the sound, I don't feel that the fretboard material has that much bearing on the sound. It's all in the pickup. I set my tone knob full on treble and leave it there. My amp is very close to flat actually too - the true sound of the Lakland is what really shines. If you haven't ordered it yet, you better get to it. Mine took about 7 months through Beaver Felton's place - Bass Central. Good luck in your choice, and enjoy that baby when it finally gets delivered to you. bruno2112
  8. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
  9. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

You might want one of these instead....

I own a USA Glaub and a Sadowsky P Bass..... The Glaub is great but the Sadowsky wins ...
    Sadowsky weight 8.5 lbs... neck profile is perfect for me.... bypassable active circuit onboard comes in very handy..... check the pricing ...Sadowsky is a bit more but worth it...
    I am not selling my Glaub...that is a great instrument as well.

This is just my opinion... :)
  10. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Ho Daddy!

That sadowski is swwwwweeeeeetttttttt!!!!!!
  11. Wow, thanks for all the great feedback.
    Yep, trouble falling asleep last night thinking about it... [:>O Yawn icon..
    Yes the Sadowsky is another excellent option. Actually I just acquired the PJ/4 and it is superb. I'm still going for the Lakland though. Also, the USA Glaub/Dunn/P-Basses are pretty easy to move if one would choose to. No question about the resale-ability of Sads. Also, I've know the Lakland crew for long time; only a couple years after the beginning; and I live only an hour or so away from the shop. I've owned quite a few Lakies trying just about everything and love to visit. So convenience is a big plus. Both have the absolute best customer service. Someday I may try another Sad, but for now I feel the Lakland will be just fine. If the Sad is that much better $$$$$$$$ than I will have to experience that sometime. I must admit the Sadowsky electronics (not including the pickups) are more to my liking than my experience with Laklands, but I'm getting a passive like my Joe bass with the Lindy Fralins. The Fralins just nail the Jazz sound in my opinion, but for live gigs sometimes the passive can be a pain and the PJ shines live. It's great to have choices. My arsenal is kept very small for a reason, three instruments is enough for me, I would go nutz trying to choose from more than that. :rolleyes:

Lake Placid Blue is a very tasty combo too. It seems that the Maple or Rosewood would go nicely with any body color/scheme, but it's the dang pick guard (which I must have on all my basses) that makes it all come together to me. I've never had a metal pick guard before and I like different as well as the old standard favorites. I always thought chrome was cool too. I love chrome hardware and think everything else pales to it ... just my 1950/60's car influence that Leo Fender tapped into a long time ago. What a genius he was.

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    where is the best place to get pickguards for laklands?
  13. 57pbass

Call Lakland ...
  14. Yep call John at Lakland 773-871-9643 listen for option for sales, I think it's 1.
  15. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Big String,
    I like your way of thinking. I've got a Sad V4, Lakland JO4 with Bart pre. I love both. I've got a few more basses than you, but your model of three is something I strive for (and torture myself with). Ever wonder what the JO would sound like with a Sadowsky onboard pre and passive control?

For Sale:
    Mike Lull Vintage 4 with Bart preamp.
  16. 57pbass

Ever wonder what the JO would sound like with a Sadowsky onboard pre and passive control?
    It sounds awesome..I have a USA JO with the offboard Sadowsky pre.... just great... :bassist:
  17. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    I actually have the pre-amp pedal already, but my Sadowsky in passive mode through the pedal doesn't sound as good to me as just when the onboard preamp is on.

I might swap out the onboard Bart pre on my JO with Sadowsky pre and test it out. I like using as few pedals as possible. Dan and Roger are cordial, I hope. The bass might reject it like a bad organ.
  18. 57 and KPO
    Yes I've though of that myself. Just so happend my Joe is active ready if I ever want to do that. I mentioned I might have the Glaub/Dunn bass with the same set up.. just in case :D

I too had a Sadowsky outboard. Weird thing with my experience though. I do agree without a doubt my Joe sounded utterly great using the outboard, but when I tried it live no matter how I adjusted it and my rig I couldn't hear as well and preferred it off... :eek: at least to hear the cut. I finally sent it back with no problem. Even Roger said that he had never had one returned especially for my reason, but had no problem refunding me. I often wish I would have kept it because it was so sweet. I may just have to try one again. Told you it was weird. I have heard that the onboards differ some from the outboards although they are supposed to be identical in design. Maybe I'm wrong. All I know the one in my Sad make me happy. I never tried a Bart with the Lindy's that sounds tasty too. I fell out of love with my Bart system on my beautiful 4-94 below.
  19. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My favorite combo is natural with a tort pickguard :)
  20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I just got my Glaub, about two months ago.
    I've own a number of old fenders.
    1963-1966-1970- 1972-1977.
    They were all fine P-basses.
    But the USA Glaub is the best P-bass, new or old I've owned.
    If your into a P-style basses Go Lakland.