Oreste Martini bass good for Rockabilly?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Bass, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sure.... a Sawzall will peel the back right offa that sucker, so you can put in all the metal I-beams that will help keep it together when you stand on it. You can install the internal pyro fixtures at the same time.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I wouldn't pay more than $64,993.12 for this bass. The seller crazy if he think's he's going to get his asking price.

4. I think you should get it. It has a very dark finish which means when you paint flames on it they will really stand out. Much better than a Kay and their cheezy light finishes. This is an old classic instrament, don't use metal to reinforce it to stand on, use 2x4's on the inside.

5. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    And pack the inside with foam so it does not feedback.

6. bassplayer57

bassplayer57

Aug 15, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Is this the same Oreste that Ken offered for 55,000 a few months ago?? :confused:

7. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Perhaps that was before everyone realized the cool Rock-a-Billy potential.

8. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    I'll bet weed-wacker wires would just SING on this bass!

9. bassplayer57

bassplayer57

Aug 15, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Before you go for that one, it think there is one at Lemur that is going for 90k??

10. The only way you can buy this bass is to agree to only drink Martini's...also it would help to have stock in Bombay Sapphire or Gray Goose :cool:

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    [​IMG]

At the request of several users on both sides of the serious/argumentative tangent of this thread, I have cleaned up the thread a bit. In order to be fair to all, I have left the potentially funny stuff since humor is not only allowed on TB, but is a staple of the community. A very wise man once defined humor as "the sudden recognition of incongruity", and I couldn't agree more. And what could be more incongruous than using a priceless old Italian masterwork for rockabilly? Soo....humor is fine, bashing and/or namecalling is not. If anybody has a problem with this, PM me and I'll discuss it further with Jeremy and Damon.

In the meantime, have at the incongruity. :)

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Cue the dead horse.

13. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    I'm relieved to see that Chris took to heart my first suggestion and cut the cancerous part of this thread out of the humorous patient.

Gary and I have exchanged a few private messages and we're completely good with each other.

Have a great holiday weekend!

14. No nne can afford Martini's :crying:

15. I hear these are great entry level basses, like Kays or some of the lower Kings.

+1 on the weedwhackers. Who needs real gut?

I can't believe I just said any of that...

16. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Inactive Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    So I guess you funny guys here are all Comedians by trade huh? I figured that if you were the least bit serious by your comments, you wouldn't do so well as a musician.. ;)

One of you clowns should come over and play this Bass. Bring an extra change of clothes, you may need it..:eek:

Also, what in the world is a weedwhacker? :confused: Is that the thing my gardener uses to trim the grass around the fence?

You guys need some serious music training.. :spit:

Also, bring your Bass along because you may have to audition for me first before touching the Martini or any other fine Bass in my collection.. :smug:

I wanna make sure you know which end to hold...;)

17. this thread scares me :bag:

18. I think maybe I said something I shouldn't have....

...what pieces are on the audition list? :(

19. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Inactive Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

I agree. If you can't afford a 150-200k classic Italian Bass and you are either starting out in Classical music or just getting back to it, a Bass like this it a good way to start..;)

Now why would you think that? :confused:

Audition list? All the Beethoven and Mozart excerpts, some Mahler, Stravinsky (Pulcinella), Dragonetti, Shostakovitch and a few more.. You know, the usual routine... Oh, and a Db Blues walking line, 4 choruses and a 2 choruses solo.

It won't be too difficult because you will have me there on the Jury swingin the vote your way..:D

20. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Of course, this is all standard repertoire for the average Rock-a-billy player. :bag:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021