Oreste Martini bass good for Rockabilly?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Bass, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Hey Ken-

I did this show last spring at a prep school, the "slap" number w/all the singing/dancing seemed to be the highlight production bit despite my poor attempt at slapping on the Weich-equipped Kolstein. I have to tip my hat at those guys who can really pull it off though. A whole 'nother category of bass playing. Ray Brown could do a respectable job as shown on his masterclass on Youtube. The Judge was the master though and great guy.

Ike

2. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    me want put martini bass and rockabilly players in large blender with gin and vermouth for make drinking.

is good?

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Inactive Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I did it on my Batchelder lightly amped in the pit. Some tunes I played with the volume off by request of the producer. there were no mics at all for the stage or the cast. Totally acoustic. I don't remember the strings but could have been Obligatos as that was my favorite back then. I did pretty ok with the slapping. I don't know how those old guys like Milt, Arvel and Slam did it. A totally different style I never even tried till that gig.. ouch!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The old guys used plain guts, which makes slapping easier, according to some people. But I used to use plain guts and now I use Thomastik Superflexible mediums (which are anything but flexible), and it's a lot easier to slap for me than guts. I actually used to get blisters on guts, and most of my arm movement went toward yanking them out far enough to get a sound. But since the switch, it's almost effortless and I never get blisters.

5. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Speaking of the Martini.. which this thread was about from an eBay auction.. I have decided to take the Martini off the market and put it back in my playing rotation along with my recently restored English Hart which I only take out for special concerts.

The Martini is more comfortable to me in my hands than is my Gilkes or Hart even though they are better and older Basses. This Gilkes is actually out on trial right now. Being that the Martini is so comfortable for me all around I have taken it off the market and am using it as my main Bass including Jazz gigs.

Actually, I have it slated for some repairs and restoration clean-up and some slight modifications. I may have posted this somewhere else here or on my forum but since this 'jovial' thread was sparked by an eBay ad I had, I thought it was on par to mention this.

The bad news for me is that just as I am getting back to using this Bass for all but some major concerts, it is going under the knife as soon as Arnold gets his sharpened. Until then, it's me and my Martini with a little Hart on the side...

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Hey, that's great news! No doubt it feels and plays good, and I bet slapping is really effortless.

As long it's getting a tune-up, be sure to install rubber bumpers so the edges dosn't wear through when it's getting dragged around.

And don't forget the pinstriping.

7. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    This whole Hillbilly rocker thing was a joke from the start and some Mod thought the thread belonged here. No, the Martini is not to be even touched for Rockability playing, period. This is a serious Bass. If not for my Gilkes out on sale trial (looks like it's not coming back), I would probably keep the Martini up for sale. The Hart Bass is about double the value of the Martini so it only goes out on special occasion hence one of the reasons to keep the Martini. That and the fact I get several calls from around the world about selling the Hart..:meh:

So.. stripe this, and slap that but keep your hillbilly paws off my Italian Bass..:mad:

This is like putting Tuxedo talk in a Sneaker Forum..:rollno:

I know most of the reader think we are talking about a drink here so I'll keep it short..;)

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Ah yes... I recall the Oliv Martini....

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Actually there was a Thread with that name by me here on TB about three years ago but it's gone now. I was doing the La Boheme Opera using my Gilkes at all the rehearsals but at the dress rehearsal, one of them took ill and we were short one Bass. I had just put the Olivs on my Martini so I went to the office and brought the Bass home. I raised the Bridge 2x my normal height and the Pizz was from heaven as well as the Arco but the Martini has a wide sound and deep so the Oliv E was like MUD. My hands were killing me when we were done but I gave the orchestra the extra bottom needed to make up for the Bass we were short.

It was after that concert that I made up the Thread named 'Oliv Martini'. True story..

10. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    USA

I don't think I have ever seen a Rockabilly Bassist with an
    Extension.

[​IMG]

11. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    That's the first chromatic Extension that Arnold made for me and just about my favorite. Maybe I am just more used to it being on one of my favorite Basses as well.

Yeah, slapping on an extension might get a little messy..:help:

12. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    A few years ago when I was touring with Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks, we played a date in Denver. The rented "bass du jour" was a Kay bass painted gloss black, stuffed with towels up to the bottoms of the f holes, a Polytone pickup, and fitted with a mechanical C extension. It may have had flames, but I'm not sure. It also had what I now realise were Thomastik Stark strings. It was a really special night.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021