1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Organ help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lookjojoisplaid, Dec 5, 2006.

1. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    OKay so my band goes back to the early prog rock sound like king crimson, rush, yes, lots of others too. We want to add an organ to our sound but cant really afford to buy one of those new Hammond or korg organs that go for over a grand and we really dont have any place to buy one of those big vintage ones.

So my question is could you buy an old big organ saw off the legs and separate the attached leslie and bring it down to the size of a standard organ?

If you have no idea what im talking about, ask questions please.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You're talking about chopping an organ. It's done time and time again. A lot of touring bands chopped B3's and C3's, attached them to a Leslie, and they're much more portable... but still a major haul.

Are you looking for an old school Hammond type? Or are you looking for a good, modern, digital equivalent.

3. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    We dont have allot of money for a good, modern, digital equivalent so that was what made me start looking at tearing apart an old school Hammond type because allot of people where i live get rid of them for cheap, but i was always asking myself where the hell am i gonna keep a giant organ.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll assure you, if you wouldn't be caught dead hauling around a tube amp, you're even less likely to carry around a Hammond Organ. I picked up a mint condition 1964 M-111 from a lady a town over for $100. I drove my El Camino to her front doorstep and carried it straight from her livingroom to my truckbed, strapped her down, drove 25 mph all the way home and backed it up to my front porch. Then I forgot I had to carry it down a flight of stairs. Those things are heavy, and chopping really doesn't save much weight, just a bit of space... but still the same footprint.

I've been nothing but impressed with the Oberheim OB-3 drawbar setup. You'll need a midi controller. This is what I use (borrowed from friend) for playing organ live.

5. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Hmm well that does seem right. I suppose that when they were designing these organs back then they didnt have the touring guitarist and bassist in mind. They probably assumed that these organs were going to the sit in a church or stay put at a venue or the churchlady's house.

So i guess the new questions is if i went the digital and by digital i mean not an old vintage hammond i mean agood, modern, digital equivalent or the vintage hammonds what is out there that is cheap? i assume my band could only front around $500 bucks

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Oberheim OB-3 Organ Module (around $400-450)
    Voce V5+ (seen these sell around $600 a few times, definately worth it)

Both sound great, I prefer the Voce though, just can't get one cheap enough.