1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Organ sound with Micro POG?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bardolphus, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I'd really like to get an Organ sound for some songs our band does. Can I accomplish this with a Micro POG or would I need a POG 2? I've searched but couldn't find anyone specifically stating that they could get a good organ sound with the Micro POG.

2. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    If you have some kind of modulation and a way to swell the notes, the Micro POG can pull it off, but the POG2 will do it on its own, since it has built-in warble and envelope-controlled volume swells.

3. IMO, It won't be a B-3, but you can get a synthy/organy sound with a Micro Pog.
    Same sound with a POG 2, but more organy, but still synthy.

The micro POG can also simulate an 8-string bass using just the octave above setting.

4. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Lots of people say the Micro Pog is more organic sounding than other octavers - pun NOT intended - but it's warm and thick, I guess.

There is a video - on EHX's website, I think, of a guy playing "Phantom of the Opera" theme (whatever the real title is) on regular guitar through a Micro Pog. It sounds very "organ-y" in spots. I don't remember if he's using a VP or other effects. Again, guitar - not bass. You should check it out though.

5. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah, I saw that vid Bob...very cool. Just wasn't sure that I'd be able to do that with bass. Really cool stuff though either way. Guess I need to start saving up for the POG 2...

6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I guess you can play chords on the bass through a Micro POG too. I haven't heard clips of that though.

I just checked out a POG2 video for the first time. Starting to GAS for that (groan). Haven't heard that on bass either, but it looks like a cool box.

7. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    It does look VERY cool! I was browsing youtube this morning and saw some cool videos with the EHX HOG and that's what got me to thinking. But the HOG is out of my price range being in the 400's. POG 2 is more manageable but is still up there. Micro POG is even better but I'm just not sure it would be able to accomplish the sounds I would want it to. Looks like it would be a good octave pedal but I've already got a MXR BOD coming my way. I'm thinking that I need to find me a POG 2 in a store and see what I can come up with. Although we have two guitars in my band, I'm thinking I could find some really useful tones with the POG 2.

8. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I did a "POG" Talkbass search, and found a youtube video from a TB member (sorry, forgot his name). There were some cool organ sounds, among other stuff.

I'm putting together a pedal board - only in my head right so far, and the Micro POG was at the heart of it. But the POG can do so much more.

I had planned to do the octave, fuzz, filter thing. But the POG has a filter in it. The question is whether you need the separation, or is it redundant?

9. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
  10. Smurf-o-Deth

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Here is the thread where I posted sound samples of the POG2, including one with organ sounds.

11. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Smurf,

I checked out clips 2 and 4 in that link. Very cool. What is a Quasar?

12. Smurf-o-Deth

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Phaser, made by Subdecay. It's currently out of production, but they have the Baby Quasar, and the Super Quasar is in the pipeline.

13. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Hey TX,

There's no way I'm in a position to buy a POG right now, but I priced them anyway.

An online store on Ebay has two "B stock" units for $265 each, and another one at "BIN or Make An Offer". Other ones (which I assume are new) cost $345.

So, that's a lot of dough, but still tempting. It's a little less than a new BMS (which I would like to have as well.

14. Bardolphus

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks Bob -

I had priced them earlier at Music123 at $324. They have a coupon right now for 15% off which puts it to $275.40 shipped to my door. If I can get the items in my sig to sell, it will be mine!

Kip - that's one of the vids that got the gears spinnin' - VERY COOL!

Smurf - thanks for the clips...just made the GAS worse!

15. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    I've been using the Micro POG to generate a an octave up then running that through a Line 6 Roto-Machine. (Leslie speaker simulator) It's no ten fingers on a B3 but it's a convincing "organ playing the bass line" sound.

16. Micro Pog can do it, POG 2 is made for it. If you can find an orginal POG for cheap, pick it up. Just add chorus.

17. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    i have a POG2 and just saying that it is an amazing and crazy little box of awesome!

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I do it on my Micro POG. Lots of octave up and octave down, medium amount of dry.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    micro pog is kind of eh for organ like sounds if you ask me. i think the pog 2 does a lot better job. makes for a more complex frequency stack.

20. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    +1. You'll probably want to push the signal through a very short delay or a chorus to get the full organy effect.