1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Organ synth sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Queg, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Hello effects people,

Could you tell what effect(s) are used to create this organ sound?

thanks!

2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Probably some type of roland pickup.

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    No doubt about it, that bass has a MIDI interface and controller embedded. You're not going to get that from any array of pedals, you need MIDI sound modules for this.

4. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    I don't know about when this was recorded, but at some point Richard Bona used a Roland V-Bass and GR-20. He had a pickup with controls integrated into his bass, as opposed to surface mounted.

5. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    I think it's all in his technique. ;)

6. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Yeah, MIDI.

I have a tube overdrive and a leslie simulator to try to get close to a Hammond sound, and it is miles away from it. Anyway, the leslie sim gives an interesting fast flangery sound (think Chris Squire) that might be cool for something.

For a "more real" organish tone (I mean, created by a non-midi bass, going thru pedals), check Roscoe Beck on Robben Ford's "Blue line" DVD (I guess that's the name, I'm not sure).

EDIT: Here's the name of that DVD: "Robben Ford & The Blue Line in Concert (1993)". Amazon sells it. Yeah, youtube have it, too!

7. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Lol.

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like I might as well just use a midi keyboard.

8. or you could just buy a synth

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Looks like a GR20. He's got a Roland pickup (either GK-2B or -3B) built into his bass.

10. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The EHX POG2 makes guitars sound like organs, dunno if it'll work on bass.

11. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    Ah, asking what gear *can* get an organ sound is different from what specifically was used in the video.

My POG2 works down to at least E1 on a four-string bass. It sounds more organ-ish out of the box. However, if you really want to get into the Hammond drawbar registrations, that can be done more easily on the HOG, thanks to the drawbars each having a slider counterpart on the HOG. Add something like a Korg G4 or a Line 6 ToneCore Roto Machine for the Leslie, and you've got it nailed.

Sounds like I have too much gear, no? *laugh*

12. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    El Presidente of Sanford and Sonny Audio Weapons (Bluebeard Fuzz)
    A friend of mine nails the Leslie sound with an EHX HOG and a H&K Rotosphere.

13. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    digitech space station. not sure what setting but there is one that sounds mighty close