Organic Bloom?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Organic Bloom
    By Stanley Kunitz

The brain constructs its systems to enclose
    The steady paradox of thought and sense;
    Momentously its tissued meaning grows
    To solve and integrate experience.
    But life escapes closed reason. We explain
    Our chaos into cosmos, cell by cell,
    Only to learn of some insidious pain
    Beyond the limits of charted hell,
    A guilt not mentioned in our prayers, a sin
    Conceived against the self. So, vast and vaster
    The plasmic circles of gray discipline
    Spread outward to include each new disaster.
    Enormous floats the brain's organic bloom,
    Till, bursting like a fruit, it scatters doom.

Does anyone have any idea what this is about, and what the author is saying. I think I have a general idea, but it's probably wrong, and I wanna see if you poet buffs on talkbass know more than I do about this stuff. Any insight? Thanks!
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    To me it is saying that our brains try to define and rationalize everything with science. We are mentally imprisoned by our willingness to only believe things which our assumed flawless minds can understand. Yet, maybe there are things which we cannot understand with our simple minds. Maybe we do not have the capacity to solve all the answers with our mental capacity and scientific method. Maybe our effort to explain spirituality through science has put us on a one way train to the depths of hell. This "brain's organic bloom" of connected thought, theories, rationalizations that grow over time will eventually burst at judgement day and send us to this doom.

I am not a religious person at all but I think the author is.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Poetry is subjective and personal art - you can like it or not - but nobody can tell you more than anybody else - it's what it means to you.

Having said that - we're talking about a pretty famous poet here aren't we - like the US Poet Laureate ?!! :rolleyes:

You could find masses of information about him by a simple search on Google or any search engine - why ask a load of bass players? :confused:

As to the last post - he's famously Jewish, isn't he?
  4. I would say he is definitely religious by the mentioning of just one word: sin.

If you don't believe in God or some kind of supreme law giver, there can be no offense or sin against this law giver, and thus no sin.

Sin. A word that is rapidly falling into disuse.
    A barometer of our society's outlook on God as a whole? I'd say yes.

Babadingding, that was an excellent assessment of that poem, in my humble opinion. :)

Mike J.
  5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I agree that it means we try and rationalize and make logical all our feelings, when really emotions can only be taken at face value.
  6. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Summed up:

I guess it means the harm of man to itself, others, and the world is tremendous and unstoppable. Once the brain has reached a certain point of learning certain skills, it has the potential to unleash total and utter annihilation on this planet as we know it. Nice knowing you guys, its been a great run.

*crap hits a fan*
  7. Thanks alot! You guys are great at poetry, and your analysees were really good and accurate. Thanks!

Btw, Bruce, google was the first thing I did, but I found nothing on this poem.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

OK - sorry - I think my original point still stands though - and that I can think of about 4 or 5 "meanings" of this poem - but tying it down and saying this is what it means, is really devaluing it as a work of art.

I think people have become fixated with the religious idea, but to me this is just the language that anybody of the author's generation would have grown up with.

The idea that interests me more is how we can hold the concept of a vast infinite cosmos, within our small, limited, finite brains.

So we have vast potential for solving problems and understanding the cosmos, but will we ever understand the nature of "evil" - where it comes from - does it in fact exist?