Organic or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jan 1, 2006.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I was channel surfing today and on one to the cable news channels there was something going on and these folks were debating if the country should start laying down some laws and moving toward organic foods, lifestyles and farms etc. Now I only caught the tail-end, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Anyway, so what do you all folks think? Organic or no?

I worked, for a brief time, at a Whole Foods Market. Before that I had been seeing a holistic dr. (herbologist) and was much into the all natural/organic life style anyway. However, it was the knowledge I got working at WFM that led me to believe that it would be quite a bit better, not only for us humans, but also out enviroment to go organic.

So, that said, I am for it.

Mind you organic DOES NOT mean that you can't have all your goodies still. It's actually quite suprising how many healthy sweets (if anyone gets that) that are out there.

2. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Generally, I don't think it is a good idea ... there has been a great deal of evolution in food technology in the past 100 years, and throwing that out would be the culinary equivalent of "intelligent design"

Instead, if there are desirable social or technological objectives met by organic foods, see how technology can acheive them more reliably, cheaply and safely
  3. My experience with Organic foods is limited to the garbage my mom buys at Trader Joes. Kashi, Organic Flax Plus and that other crap she buys is awful. We just feed it to the cat or the racoons in the backyard.
  4. food technology that is doing nothing but poisoning the world. All that organic means is that no harmful chemicals are used in the growing process. Why stop poisoning food? I don't know........

I don't care if non-organic foods are illegal or not. I don't touch them. That's just my choice though. People have rights to choose what they want.
  5. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    From a medical standpoint, it's mostly pointless, aside from the placebo factor. There's nothing wrong with spending more for organic vegetables vs. regular, but a lot of people take it too far (ie: herbologists). It can be very dangerous to meddle with those types of treatments. The classic example would be digitalis vs. foxglove leaves: you can take a pill, or derive the active ingredient from the leaves in a tea. Both work, but one is a controlled substance and the other will kill you if you take the wrong amount. The other thing I see a lot of people around me doing is taking mega doses of vitamins. If your recommended intake of a vitamin is 100mg and you take 3g, you're not doing yourself any favors. A friend of mine does that; he takes multiple vitamin C pills every day, each of which has 800% of the daily value. I believe in an integration of some of the "natural" methods, but only in strict moderation.
  6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Organic doesn't technically mean any food at WFM or Trader Joe's, even a chunk of their food is not grown organically. I don't even like that stuff much because it's often overpriced (for a reason).

In my opinion, organic is great. What is called food technology may benefit humans, but the way animals are treated, well, you know how they are treated (hopefully you know). I think organic is still somewhat expensive because there's a much much smaller market for it. Let's face it, I'd say around 90% of Americans are apathetic about finding out where their food comes from, how it is made, etc...I'm no exception, although since the summer I've been making a concious (and somewhat successful) effort to change that. There's no doubt that it's better for the environment.

I think it comes down to the fact that organic food will hurt big business, that's a big cause to it growing in popularity so slowly.
  7. This about sums up my response to this thread. Wanna eat turnips grown and handled by some shoeless hippie? Great. I choose evil industrial turnips...I like the extra kick that the DDT offers.

... and just for the hell of it: anyone that has purchased "free-range" chicken meat because of the "free range" part was ripped off. No matter how much space is allowed, chickens don't have a tendency to roam around. They look for food, and if it's dumped in the same place at the same time everyday....they won't leave that area. Sorry to break the feel-good bubble.
  8. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

I will agree with the vitamins statement. I know many people dropping B and C and all sorts of stuff. I myself do not take any vitamins or pills or whatever.

That said, WFM or any other 'organic' store, as mentioned, is all organic. They do have traditionally grown stuff (with the pesticides, chemicals etc) and all natural stuff. So really it isn't all that bad.

I will say, if you get a chance to get a hold of the all natural peanut butter covered pretzels from WFM, you should. You'll never look back. :D
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sorry. The benefit of having enough food far outweighs the detriment of the chemicals used to grow them and protect them from bugs. I don't believe that we could grow enough food without the fertilizers and pesticides we use today. Please note that the average life expectancy in the U.S. has increased steadily and dramatically since the 19th century and before.

And by the way, "organic" means containing carbon compounds.

Check it out.

10. Not to mention he has over 10,000 posts.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, I forgot to mention that ... probably due to all the chemicals in my food.
  12. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Ah, beat me to it.
  13. There is a SLIGHT difference between health food and organic food. :D
  14. Beware of language in this link, but it's VERY informative. Penn and Teller are sweet! The first half is about dieting, the second half about food technology.

15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Organic products are good, if there's less chemicals and pollution around. Organic is often another word for the fact the food is grown close to you at a tad smaller farms, bit less chemicals involved and skipping that industrial middleman.

What I prefer is organic meat products, though - I've seen enough of these horror stories how animals are treated and what is put into their food in industrial growing plants to prefer a bit more natural approach. And of course veggies benefit from not being drenched in pesticides or waxed to look good, too.

Granted, good quality local meat is more expensive, but then again, replacing two inexpensive steaks with one good one and putting a larger amount of less expensive veggies on the plate to make up for it is a healthy move anyways.
  16. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong

hmm ... don't know about that. The most common cause of food poisoning is and generally has been salmonella; other diseases like trichnosis and brucilosis have sickened as well. Important technology has all but eliminated these as problems (though they crop up in places like China ... or most of Asia ... we have to be very careful of this). We have to be very careful about vegetables and salads because human waste is used as fertilizer in China ... we can get hepatitis, polio, etc. etc. I usually think of 'organic' as more a marketing gimmick. There is no real way to tell how food is raised. Indeed, organic oatmeal has been shown to consistently have higher levels of aflotoxin than major non-organic brands like Quaker
  17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The reason that there wouldnt be enough food production is because north americans use the resources (ie viable land etc) to grow meat instead of vegetables. i am a little fuzzy on my stats but i think the amount of resources required to grow one pound of beef can yield 24lbs of wheat (or various other vegetables etc, etc). basically, following this logic, world hunger is for nothing. we could solve it no problem if we REALLY wanted to. Anyway, dont want to get on the soapbox... google for more info if your'e interested.

regarding eating organic... the biodiversity in a square foot of soil from a farm growing organic foods is much, much higher than that of a traditional farm. when we spray those fields with various quantities of poison/toxins we are killing the soil. so what do we do? add more fertilizer!!! (which has its own synthetic elements).

then there is the health factor. what is more important than your health? nothing. Once it goes no amount of money can bring it back. Despite their millions of dollars George Harrison and Lynda McCartney still died of cancer. your money cant save you. therefore, doing things like eating foods that have not been sprayed with poison is probably a good move. it hasnt been 100% proven that pesticides are harmful to humans, however, its safe to say that the healthiest option is organic. hands down.
  18. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

In addition to what westland and Munjibunga have said, organic foods also have a negative effect on the environment. Growing organic crops requires much more land to produce the same amount of food than non-organic methods. This leaves less room for wildlife (and humans) and often displaces them. Also, due to the fact that organic foods don't use pesticides or use genetically modified crops, farmers often introduce predators (usually non-native species) to control the pest populations which tampers with the rest of food web and other predator-prey relationships.
  19. Genetically modified crops have certain advantages over organic crops. As stated, organic crops need more room to grow. Genetically modified crops do not. Also, genetically modified crops contain natural pesticides and herbicides, so farmers do not need to spend money on extra chemicals that are potentially harmful to the environment. The argument that "genetically modified foods screw up the environment" is true to an extent. That is why newer farming methods say that if you are planting these crops, you should only plant a certain percentage of them compared to the whole yield. For example, if you are planting corn, only plant 50% GM food, and 50% regular (I don't know the real percentages, but I am using this as an example. GM crops have experienced much sucess recently. In Asia, one of the main crops is rice. Unforunately, a heavy rice diet does not contain enough iron, and many Asians have iron deficiencies and lack other certain nutrients. Scientists have added many genes to their standard species of rice and have created what is known as "golden rice", basically rice that is fortified with vitamins and minerals, and of course iron, that can not be found in regular rice. Because of this, many nutrional deficiencies have been fixed in Asian countries.
  20. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    My mom bought organic milk once. I nearly threw up. Not even Ovaltine could mask that disgusting taste.