1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Organic, splattery, sputtering fuzz? Help!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassmandudeguy, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Ok guys I'm chasing this sound that's stuck in my head! I searched the interwebs for an example sound and really haven't found anything suitable to post for what I'm looking for. But pretty much as the title says I'm looking for a sputtering, splattery, messy sounding fuzz.

I recently got an MXR Blowtorch which I really like but it's pretty much an exact opposite of this new sound I'm craving. Maybe that's why I'm looking for some contrast. I found that I've become addicted to layering OD, Dist & Fuzz... So far I'm getting some fairly beefy sounds by running the dirt side of my m-80>b3k>blowtorch but I need more for some reason! I also have the dist channel on my enigma filter which is fun and smashing the front end of my compressore with my geb-7 is cool too but I need more dedicated fuzz to add to my wall of doom!

Google didn't help much but it did bring up a TB post in which Deltaphoenix mentions a TAMF with a foot switchable gate mod that Delta called "splattery". That got me excited. Anyone else have any ideas on a loose, randomly sputtering, splattery sounding fuzz??? Help I think I developed a problem!

2. CptRevell

CptRevell

Aug 15, 2011
    Maryland
    The Great Destroyer by Dwarfcraft is a super sputter thing. Hard to control, but sounds good. The Year 4545 by TA is also in this category. I've found i like it more than the TGD but to each their own.

I think any sort of fuzz with some sort of voltage-starve will achieve a similar tone. I think Dwarfcraft made a pedal that can do that to anything run through it as well for more options.

3. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    A couple come to mind...

Devi Ever Soda Meiser (version with Chaos Switch)
    Fuzz Hugger AB-Synth (I miss mine)
    Subdecay Noisebox (hard to get a non-synthy sound, but super splattery)

Shep

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
  5. Thanks guys appreciate the responses! I haven't actually been home yet to demo any of the suggested pedals on YouTube or anything but it's #1 on my todo list when I get to my comp. I'm kinda meh about listening to anything on my phone without headphones at least, and I didn't bring em with me doh! I'm surprised there's so many recommendations though I didn't think there would be that many pedals with that kind of sound but apparently I know nothing!

Thanks again guys!

6. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Speaking of Muffs and voltage starvation - the Germanium Muff might be an option. Cascade the two channels into each other, turn down that Voltage control, and crank the gains and your in business.

7. Dannybuoy-

Thanks for the super interesting mod idea man! I'm right in the middle of a DIY bass build/mod fest right now though that's sucking up all my free time as it is but I'll keep this in mind. Not to mention my electronics skills are probably not up to par for your project but I'm all for learning new stuff! Crap I just realized I gave my USA muff to my gui**** playing brother... Wonder if I could persuade him to let me borrow it lol! Or wait this mod is for BBM and won't even work on the USA muff I suppose or is there a way...? Toodles!

8. Germanium muff you say? I'll have to check that out. One reason I gave my USA muff away though was the built in mid scoopage and the bottom end loss. I didn't really mind the mid scoop when practicing myself but I found that when jamming with my overly loud buddies I would get lost and have a hard time hearing myself. I have a much more powerful rig now though so I wonder if that would make it viable? The bottom end loss always kinda sucked but I didn't really know any better for a long time since that USA muff was my first and only dirt pedal for many years!

Does that germanium version have the same qualities as the USA muff? Or is it taylored to the bass like the BBM?

Anyways if the germanium can sputter and splat then it may be worthwhile irregardless lol!

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    +1 to voltage starvation. I own a Dwarfcraft Shiva and the sputtering part comes into play as the voltage is turned down. I'm not sure if I'd consider it organic, but then again there's not necessarily an objective definition of that going around...

If you're running a power supply with a voltage sag option (i.e. PP2+) you can experiment with pedals in your roster currently. You may be surprised what might work.

10. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    A cranked TAFM can definitely get crackly and sputtery, and sounds beast when dialed in right.

11. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Older fuzz pedals used low gain transistors, some designed not so well but they used methods of the time to drag as much gain out of them as possible. So when you copy the design and then replace them with high gain modern transistors. They turn into ugly spattering monsters with that velcro sustain.

So just build a Fuzz face, mosrite fuzzrite, or a Shin Ei Companion Fuzz from GGG and use a NPN 3904 modern transistor. and you well get a spattering high gain mess. the mosrite sounds like pure garbage
    rather fun.

Tonebender Mark II professional, is where they stole the fuzzface from, and the Suppa Tone Bender is where they stole the bigmuff from.
    no need for germanium diode mods, the original just used them.

12. Fix'd Fuzz.

S

13. Splatty and sputtering ... First two that come to mind are the dwarfcraft great destroyer and Devi ever OK

14. Another one is Fairfield Circuitry Unpleasant Surprise

15. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Well, it's a different circuit altogether than the Big Muff Pi circuits, AFAIK. Not really sure why they called it what they did....marketing and all that I suppose...

The OD side has HUGE low end with the tone turned fully counter-clockwise - that's not the side with the voltage control though, although I suppose when both channels are in use it'd help.
    Turning the voltage down (on the Distortion side) sort of does suck low end - I haven't honestly played around with that sound enough to know if the low end can be brought back with the bias knob on that side... Maybe I'll give it a whirl tonight, it might be a situation where a blend/loop pedal is necessary.

As far as mid scoop in the tone stack, there may be some - it sounds a bit different to my ears than a muff - ie more mids, but then again it's a different circuit so I can't be sure what the individual parts of the circuit are doing.

16. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have a Monsterpiece Smelly Snatch that does that thanks to the cool controls. I have a Woolly clone that also will that with the correct turn of the knob.

My favorite is an old Schaller , what looks like a FF clone, that I use to get the last few milliamps out of old batteries. The old battries really work well in this beast.

17. +1 to Devi Ever stuff. Lots of fuzz weirdness going on with her boxes...

18. Lots of weirdness goes on in Devi Ever's Box, lots of weirdness....
    I am no expert about her pedals though, I know some work well with bass, some not so much.

19. I tried one of those before. Well actually it was a hybrid Big Muff Smelly Snatch and it was awful in the worst way imaginable! It probably woulda been ok If I'd run the Sniff Tester boost before it but I had the gain cranked on my Way to Drunk to Care filter and I totally forgot!

20. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    +1