1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Organizing patches on a multi-effects unit

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gjbassist, Jan 11, 2012.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I received a Zoom B2 for Christmas and really like it. However, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the available settings. Those of you that use a multi-effect pedal frequently, how do you set it up to easily access the patches you use most? In a gig situation I want to be able to find them quickly. I have a separate foot petal which I can set up to change the banks on the Zoom. I was thinking of putting my most used patches at the beginning of each bank then using the foot pedal to scroll through them. Any other ideas?

2. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    I haven't used multi effects setups on bass, but I've done plenty of it on guitars, and what worked best for me was to organize by songs, so that I could play each song without having to change banks.

3. Sixpack324

Sixpack324

Jan 10, 2012
    New Jersey
    This is basically my method too....

Bank 1
    Patch 1 = Song 1
    Patch 2 = Song 2
    Patch 3 = Song 3
    Patch 4 = Song 4
    Bank 2
    Patch 1 = Song 5
    And so on.....

With my (now defunct) multi-effects processor, I can have 99 songs ready to go.

4. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    That would require reorganizing my band's set list and I don't think they are going to want to do that just to accommodate my effects.

5. this.
    or name the patch something that refers to the song name in case you change the setlist up & save them all in the same area so you can scroll thru quickly instead of hunting & pecking around.

...looking at the manual & seeing that it has a 2 digit LED i'd go with a cheat sheet & try to save the ones you'd use in a set close together. "The preset area of banks 0 - 3 contains the same patches as A - d." so i'd pick one to save, either the 0-3 or the a-d & steamroll your personalized settings or tweaks over the others & keep a chart of which songs they goto. good luck!
    http://www.samsontech.com/site_media/legacy_docs/B2.pdf

6. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    What I meant is that all the patches for a particular song be on the same bank. If three patches are needed for a particular song, those patches are on the same bank.

If you only need one patch per song, my advice doesn't apply.

7. It would be impossible for me to arrange things song to song, too many bands. I arrange my sounds in general groups where a clean or neutral sound is one or 2 away from effected sounds.
    I usually start each bank with a neutral sound (nothing on but a touch of verb) then my "natural tone" a modded Bassman/ Submarine patch then build up the banks adding efx.

Zoom B2.1U User
    Neutral room A0
    Pop Bassman A1
    Driving Miss F F A2
    Auto Funkin' Wah A3
    Retro Phaso A4
    Pop Bassman A5
    TripleOctaBass A6
    Pop Bassman A7
    Looper delay solo A8
    BassmanFlanged A9
    Motown Jazz B0
    Pop Bassman B1

ps check out the Zoom Cheat sheets.

8. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks for the info. That cheat sheet will come in handy!

9. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Has anyone ever wiped one of these units clean and started from scratch building their own presets?

10. You can't actually do that, the closest is a factory reset but it just reloads the factory and the mirror patches over the user banks.
    I do start from "Zero" and build sounds up from there. Once you have a zero patch it's pretty easy to save as many as needed to whatever location.

Zero=All banks off

11. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    It is generally best to make your own user patches to suit your tone, factory ones are generally over done to showcase all the effects and functions.

I think of a multi-effects as a very large toolbox, you don't need to use every tool for a job.

I have about 8~12 patches i use regulary, to have one for each song is an overkill (IME/IMO). Clean to dirty in one bank, special song effects in another two banks.

I used to use the GT-10B, and now use the Roland GR-55 plus a tech21 VT-Bass pedal inserted into the GR-55 loop i drilled into it.

12. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    The OP's question is a good one - that I probably asked in a Zoom B3 thread a long time ago. But now I'm revisiting the possibility of seriously considering buying that unit.

What I really want to know is: How easy is it to call up presets on the fly in a live setting with that unit?

13. With the B3 you have to put it in patch mode by holding down the left switch, then use the other switches to scroll to the patch you need and the hold down the left button until it returns to normal mode. Takes a few seconds. The trick is to have your patches set up in some sort of order or named for easy recognition.

14. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Thanks bassbrad. I know this has been addressed many times before. But I need the review.

15. I used to use a m9 in an effects heavy band. Meaning that every song we had I would probably use up to three different 'patches' with each patch containing up to 3 effects on simultaneously. I would organize my patches by songs and instead of memorizing the patches I would just write them down on a piece of paper. I try to make things as simple as possible and if I don't have to memorize then I won't.

Now I use the B3 and it's a little different than the m9 but pretty much does the same thing. I organize patches by songs or by their patch names. I still find myself writing on a piece of paper.

It's a little easier now that I only play in a blues rock band since I pretty much find myself using my SVT patch for pretty much all our songs. I love jamming though cause that's when I find out what my B3 can really do. :)