Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Organizing your tools?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by count_funkula, Jan 18, 2005.

1. What are you guys using to organize your tools? My work area is getting really cluttered and I'm looking for some ideas to get organized. Right now I have a big "tool Box" that contains all my sanding blocks, chisels, files, drill bits, etc.....

I need a shop...........

Any suggestions?

2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Drawers and shelves! I had some stuff hanging on magnets but it always ends up on the floor underneath my bench. :(

[​IMG]

3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    The top half of my garage walls, all the way around, are covered with peg board. Then i just keep a big tub of hooks and pegs and such around, so pretty much all of the bigger stuff is hanging on the walls somewhere. Everything else is in a big craftsman tool chest.

4. schuyler

schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    i'm currently building a shop to house all my tools (which is why i'm not building a bass at the moment). right now i have a mechanic's tool chest i keep most of my hand tools in, but when the shop is finished i'll probably build wall cabinets to hold everything else.

pics will be posted when the shop's done.

5. Man, your shop is clean! I've got to get a dust system.

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I've been wanting to get a tool cart. I plan on throwing most of the tools I use most often in there and leaving them there, ready for use. I find that as soon as I put something away I'm pulling it back out. For now everything is in drawers, cabinets, shelves, tool boxes or hanging on peg board.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Kitchen drawers! Not in the kitchen though... Keeps the gear organized, and, with the proper drawer or lining material, the tools sharp.

8. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    By the looks of your benchtop, you have been busy! :D