Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Orgins of Band Names.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've always been curious as to how some bands like KoRn, Sum 41, etc. got their names. I know that 311 is police code for Nude in Public, Led Zepplin took their name after The Ox said that, "They'll float like a lead balloon." upon hearing the band's proposed lineup, and Steely Dan was a steam powered dildo from the novel "Naked Lunch", Pink Floyd were named after 2 American Blues singers, and The Average White Band was taken from a phrase that was used in Scotland alot at the time, i.e. "How's the weather? It's too cold for the average white man."
    I'd love to hear some others.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Ah yeah, I remember that!

3. Pink Anderson and Floyd Council....Georgia bluesmen.

4. This is a SONG name, but I heard the Iron Butterfly song was originally called In The Garden Of Eden.

5. GRATEFUL DEAD: The motif of a cycle of folk tales which begin with the hero coming upon a group of people ill-treating or refusing to bury the corpse of a man who had died without paying his debts. He gives his last penny, either to pay the man's debts or to give him a decent burial. Within a few hours he meets with a travelling companion who aids him in some impossible task, gets him a fortune or saves his life. The story ends with the companion disclosing himself as the man whose corpse the hero had befriended.

6. OK, I'm playing this game with myself.

Quicksilver Messenger Service: All members were Virgo and Gemini. In astrology the ruling planet for these signs is Mercury. Quicksilver is a pseudonym for Mercury.

Jethro Tull: He was an 18th century English agriculturist who invented the seed drill. Cool sounding name.

Cream: The boys thought they were the Cream of the crop of blues players.

7. The only one I know about is Green Day - smoking pot all day... :rolleyes:

My own band though - "The RipOffs" 'The' taken from oldies, i.e. The Ramones, RipOffs meaning that no matter what we do, we will be ripping someone off, likely! It's all be done before!!

The Original RipOffs!!
    We are the RipOffs, you will be RippedOff! :D

I lvoe being me...... MUAHAHAHAHA!!

8. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    well if you must know, Korn got there name from 2 Guys rimming. ..uhh.. .yeah on top of some bar and the dude took a poot and there was a peace of Corn in his.. um.. Waste. =X
    They thought it was funny and they were drunk so they wrote KoRn on a Table or something. Pretty F****** gross

on a nicer side, and a bit less discusting side-

My band is caled the Foxy Grandpas.
    Particularly taken cause i asked some old woman "if a grandpa lived there?" she said "yes, hes my man!! hes very nice and he is handsom" and i said "oh so hes a foxy grandpa" and i went home and wrote for the first album "the disembowled ashes of Jerry Garcia"
    Now following up with The "Foxy Grandpas - Somewhat acoustic with a Boss Acoustic Simulator"
    :D

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Cameo: They used to be called The New York City Players, but that name was already taken and the owners refused to give it up, so when pressed about a name, Larry Blackmon looked out the window of his hotel room and saw a billboard for Cameo cigarettes.

Commodores: They used to sing in the bathroom alot in college, or so the story goes.

10. UB40: This is a British unemployment form.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not disputing, but I've also heard Keith Moon as the one who said that.

Jaco's Word Of Mouth band-
    If you have an original/1st run copy of the Word Of Mouth album...NO CREDITS for any of the musicians! And NO ADVERTISING for who played in this band for live dates, either.
    Something about contracts/agreements, whatever. Anyway, someone said I guess "Well have to advertise by word of mouth".
    ...or sumthin' like that.

I think-
    Derek & The Dominoes had a similar story...it's "Derek", not Eric. Maybe it's 'cause Derek flowed better with Dominoes(?). ;)

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Now that I think about it, you may be right about Moon saying that.

13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Sum 41 got their name because they all got together on the 41st day of summer, hence the name.

Or so I was told be a huge fan of theirs, so I guess he would know.

14. The Ramones: Comes from an old Beatles recording where Paul McCartney was listed as "Paul Ramon"

Fugazi: An old British Military term:"Fouled Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In"

NOFX: Comes from the band Negative FX

Rolling Stones: Named after a Muddy Waters (I think) song.

ALL: Named after the spiritual concept developed by the Descendents.

Screeching Weasel: Named after a T-shirt a drunk frat boy had at a punk show.

SNFU: Originally stood for "Society's no ****ing Use"

Spring Heeled Jack: Named After a serial murderer character in a kids book.

Less Than Jake: "Jake" is a 30's mobster's term for "cool", also, they drummers dog (Jake) used to get leftovers from Red Lobster while he had to go and cook macaroni and cheese for himself.

Toasters: Sound system DJ's used to have "toasting" contests in Jamaica,

MU330: Named after the Jazz band section the group members first met in. (MU stands for Music)

15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    TOBER: came from October

BigWig: are you sure your friend said "Bassits are sexy"? or "Bassists are sexy"

DM

16. She meant to say "Bassists are sexy" but it came out "Bassits". I copied it wholesale so I could not be accused by any jealous guitarists of misquoting. (not that'd I find any here, but its the principle)

Here, I shall correct it.

17. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Deep Purple got their name from an old song called Deep Purple but I can't remember who did it.

It was Moon who said the thing about the lead balloon, not Ox..

18. They were always in contention, no one's absolutely positive which one it was....and I guess now we never will.

19. the doors got their name from a book by a philosopher-type (i forget who) that said "the doors of perception are open"
    mogwai is the kind of creature that gizmo was in the gremlins movie
    system of a down's name is from a poem that their bassist (daron, is it?) wrote
    vital techtones is a combination of the names of the three members' main project ("vital" from vital information, steve smith's band, "tones" from flecktones, vic's band. and i'm not sure where the "tech" comes from; i'm assuming it's from scott henderson's main project...? i figured this out on my own, so i dunno)

20. The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley.

The Soft Machine was another Burroughs novel, though a less successful band.

Also, the Pogues comes from the Irish phrase "Pogue Mahoe" which means "Kiss my ass"