1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Original 1970 Precisions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matti777, Dec 31, 2011.

1. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I'm hoping to have a look at this bass next weekend. I think it is a natural walnut color. Does this look original for 1970? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    No. I have never seen a neck like that on a 70 or that finish which i had on a 78.' It looks to me like a non Fender but in that pic is hard to tell. Like all basses from that period you must hold it ,inspect it,research it and play it. A photo does nothing IMO.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, that not even a fender bass, let alone having an original finish.
    and BTW, walnut wasn't avaialable in 1970 yet.

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    ^ there you go spoken from a Fender expert. I agree maybe not a Fender at all.

5. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Thanks guys. Yes, this is part of the research before I look at it. The owner seems to be away until next weekend so the pic is all I have to go on for now. We'll see what his story is. I thought that maybe this bass was refinished which might be okay. Perhaps its just an assortment of various Fender parts. It isn't going to be worth half of what he is asking.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Diff not a real fender imo. First clue, they never did combination of block and dot fretmarkers like this thing has.

7. The blocks might be stickers....The body looks refinished and stained, badly stained.
    It actually might be a Fender...just a really bad example of one. Hey, might be a gem! :)

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Doesn't look very good to me. Unless you are prepared to do a lot more research before you check it out, or can put up some better pictures for us to judge, you won't be able to make an intelligent decision as to its value.

9. Try to get the serial number and I think there's a web site with official Fender serial numbers so you could get a better understanding if this is a real thing or not.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, the upper horn looks a bit off in the OP's pic and the tug bar is definitely not a Fender one (it's way too short).