Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Original 1973 Gibson Ripper Bass :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Checkout this original 1973 Gibson Ripper Bass I traded for today. The tone of this thing is to die for and it's got a ton of tonal possibilities. It has a 4-way style switch and mid/tone controls :bassist:

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Sweet.

I am $80 away from owning an all-original 1972 Gibson Grabber. I've traded in about $370 worth of stuff for it. :p

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Other than getting a Valenti built, thats the only other bass I see myself getting in the future.

Killer creatures indeed.

4. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, it's probably the most versatile bass I've ever played. It's surprisingly light to, just a huge slab of maple hehe.. I like the tone/mid controls wide open and tone setting 4 (which they say is a 'funk' setting in the manual haha) I think it's pickups in series while in phase. Setting one is parallel and two and three deal w/ phasing and soloing of the pickups.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The ones Ive played were all heavier than all hell but that wouldnt stop me from getting one.

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Maybe you had the alder model? The maple model I have is light. It's weird, compared to the Gibson Grabber basses I've tried, this bass is like half their weight hehe..

7. I played an identical version of that at a Daddys not to long ago.

Very sweet basses. But I could only really see myself playing it with a pick. My fingers are too big for string spacing that tight fingerstyled.

Sweet basses though. :bassist:

8. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, this thing sounds so good w/ a pick. Especially w/ the pickups in series, sounds like a really deep and growly p-bass. It's probably the best 'pick' bass I've tried. Didn't Novoselic from Nirvana have an ebony ripper crack him over the head at the MTV awards when he tried to catch it? That was hilarious :p

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The older models are maple (like mine), newer models are alder. Mine is a '74.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Newer?

Besides, Im pretty sure maple is heavier than alder. All the natural finish ones Ive seen were definetly maple. Im not sure about the black or sunburst ones.

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Whoops! Got that backwards... my bad!
    edit: my ripper's black.[​IMG]
    (and for some reason, I keep thinking that maybe the black ones may have been ash, but, I'm probably mistaken)

12. Mine is a '73 maple/maple, it was advertised as being "rock" maple, and it is at least twice the weight of my MIM Jazz. The Jazz was bought as a back up for the Ripper, but because of the weight, has become my main axe. The Ripper does have some outstanding tone capabilities though. If yours is wired "stock" the only solo pick up is the bridge pick up in position 2 on the selector switch, the others are different combinations of the two pick ups, including one coil in each pick up to do a good Jazz bass sound. Take good care of the selector switch, I would hate to think of having to replace it.

John

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Haven't been able to find one locally....

14. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hmm, maybe, but for some reason the bass really doesn't feel that heavy. It's lighter than my stingray. Oh well, maybe mine's a freak of the ripper world, and I'm damn happy about it :hyper:

15. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    You sure that's not mahogany w/ an ebony fingerboard? I saw one just like that and it was advertised as a mahogany body. That would DEFINATELY be heavy :eek:

16. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'm fairly certain its not mahogany; it is one of the lightest basses I own, llighter than the Jazz or Orion. Fretboard is ebony.

17. My '75 Ripper is alder and reasonably light weight. And in the 16 years I've owned it, I've never had a problem with the 4 position switch.

18. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Mine got screwed up when the bass took a punch meant for me...[​IMG]

(damn, I've had that bass for 28 years! I should know what its made of...why don't I?)

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Cool, make some good rock/punk with one of those things. Nick , didint Krist have one of those?

20. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    there was one for sale in g'ville recently
    contact ESCPE GRACE

...i would have bought your G&L, if i had the bread