1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

original 62 precision pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ampeg2, Jul 9, 2014.

1. I purchased a used original "62"pickup without shield from a tb'r . I installed it,and not a lot going on. the poles are not beveled and protrude above the covers. Is this correct ?the pictures i see on line seem different etc..Hope I got what I paid for...Thanks....

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The 62 Original I sold recently had the same thing going on.

3. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Please expound on "not a lot going on"

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I have only seen them them tapered poles. I've had a few of them, and have always removed the bridge plate, so I wouldn't be concerned to much by that. Is there a sticker on the bottom?

5. I have '62's on 2 of my P's. Both have pole pieces which are very slightly beveled (chamfered) and project slightly above the black pick up cover.

6. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    I have a set from a '62 Reissue. The poles are also flat and extend above the cover.
    Wire is black and white, waxed cloth. Maybe they are reissue?

-

7. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    It depends of the year of production.
    My '97 P-bass has Original 62 Pickup with flat poles at cover level, newer ones are beveled and extend above the cover (had one in my 60th Ann P)

8. fontez5

fontez5

Apr 19, 2009
    Columbia, IL
    I've got the beveled version in my '74 P and I LOVE these things. Great pickups, IMHO. These and my LaBella Jamerson strings do the trick like there's no tomorrow.

9. I'm sorry, was out of town..they are presently installed ,there are no markings on bottom as I remember, the pickups, seem weak etc. The poles are very sharp edged and protrude. I wish ;with so many p pickups there was a way to id. them . Thanks for your interest ,I probably should have bought new ones.My 60's rw jazz bass has real nice pickups, was hoping for the same for my precision.....