1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Original '62 Precision Pickups, a good choice?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Jul 24, 2012.

1. I've been going over a modified bass in my head for awhile now. Been wanting to find an Affinity to work on, something cheap to tinker with and make unique. There seem to be a ton of them around, I have seen quite a few used ones at the local shops too.

Bass aside, the original Fender '62's seem to be the most budget friendly pickup out there (i'm talking about the brand new ones). I don't want to spend a whole lot, especially on an Affinity, but want something that will be a good sounding pickup without too much investment.

Would this be a good direction to go in? Or is there something else I could find for about the same price that would be a better option? I'm not trying to create the greatest bass in the world, just something to mod and be decent and fun.

2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Big fan of them. They sound exactly how you WANT a P-bass to sound.

3. That's what i'm looking for. Good P bass sound on a budget.

4. I have been wondering the same thing. I have one that I want
    to put into a MIM Fender P Bass Special I have. I'm just not sure
    how much difference it would make.