1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Original Bands: In Praise Of

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Kenny Allyn, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Original Bands: In Praise Of

There has been so much consternation and bickering as of late over this whole original/cover bad thing that it seemed like a good time to give credit where credit is due to some of the best examples of bands out there doing their own thing!

I’ll start with three that I think are just great!

I like “Rootsy” music be it rock, blues or whatever so here goes … the names link to their MySpace so you can hear a sample

Delta Highway … made up from members from N.Carolina, Memphis and parts unknown, they are very influenced by the North Mississippi drone style blues, and yet bring a fresh approach to it. They are up for the current BMA (blues music award) and tour extensively, catch them live if you get a chance. I’ve sat in with these guys before and it’s a kick!

The HEAP … from Athens GA. I heard these guys MySpace stuff maybe a year or so ago and was just blown away by the innovation and musicianship! First thing right off, they have TWO bass players Jeff on EUB and Bryan on what looks to be a Hofner type bass , also with 3 horns, keys, percussion, and drums! Love the Stax like horn punches with jazzy overlays and killer groove.

Danko Jones … Ontario Canada To my taste rock and roll at its best! Raw and fun with a street tough edge it’s like the Ramones of the new century. All the players seem to be in a state of constant pedal to the metal, with a greasy organic groove. Bassist JC (John Calabrese) has a tone just “is” the definition of classic overdriven rock, check out the track Boogie Woogie to hear what I mean!

:) ... Share some of your favorites and so we can give a wider audience to well deserving new artist.

2. stickytape706

stickytape706

Aug 4, 2007
    I have a couple but they are local acts that I think deserve some attention...

www.myspace.com/downsiid These guys just got done doing a show with Nonpoint and taproot the other day.

www.myspace.com/kritickill These guys have done alot for the troops and have a nice sound. The bass player is very talented.

www.myspace.com/dirtywormz Hip Hop rock act that is a big thing around austin. The frontman is very talented.

www.myspace.com/inthetrenchband This group is fairly new but have been gettong alot of local recognition. They also just played a show with nonpoint and other big acts.

Maybe not everyones cup of tea but these guys deserve some attention..

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 To Danko Jones.

4. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Not everyone is gonna dig certain styles but your post got me to listen to stuff I might not hear on my own ... and that's a good thing!

Downsiids track "Down" worked for me and I would have never head them without your post

:) ... Gotta be MORE original stuff out there ... post them if ya got them!

5. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    myspace is loaded with "original" bands...no shortage

I've been listening to a Swedish band called " Soundtrack Of Our Lives"

great stuff!

http://www.myspace.com/officialtsool

6. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Sound Track of our Lives ...

Kinda 60s psychedelic retro with tinges of Pink Floyd, very cool

;) ... Nice link!

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    A band I shared a bill with a long ways back.

Walking Spanish.

For anyone who knows who Jackie Greene is, the frontman of this band is his little brother.

8. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Whoa yeah ... nice stuff

:D ... If I get up that way ... can I sit in for a song or two?

9. Thanks for the kind words. Sure you could sit in...and maybe some of us could sit in with you. One or two of us are usually in Memphis for the IBC.

10. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    No problem ... I'm both a member of the Memphis Blues Society and Blues Foundation and my own band between us we usually have something going on.

:) ... Again you guys sound great! ... gotta me more music out here to check out.

11. Wow... Never heard of 'em before. It just goes to prove that if you're going to 'make it' from Sacramento, it's just that - you'll make it 'from' and not 'in' Sacramento.

They sound awesome.

12. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    danko jones is pretty great.

13. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    [RANT]Hell, forget about making it - I'd just like to find an interesting project in Sacramento. It seems like every time I've put out feelers for a new band/project the only responses I get are from hard rock/metal/screamo and blues/blues rock bands despite expressly saying that's not what I'm interested in doing. Nothing against any of those genres, but just not where my head's at right now. [/RANT]

Back on topic, I dig your band too Ubersheist. I'll have to come check you guys out live sometime soon.

14. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    :meh: I would have thought with all of the ranting from original artist, and those who support their efforts
    in some of the other threads that more folks would have wanted to share some original favorites?

:scowl: ... Maybe just arguing about the merits of it is more of what people want?

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Most original bands of any era are terrible. We only remember the few who where good. :atoz:

Not exactly "new", but David Gogo is a great blues musician who is even better live.

16. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Do You Want More?!!!??!

First some Cali artists I've seen in the last few weeks.

My favorite artist to come out of Sacramento since Cake or the Deftones. The New York Times called him "The Prince of Americana". Should be better known by now. Talented songwriter.

Jackie Greene

A cool funk group out of San Francisco that I saw tonight. Almost too smooth, but really tight and funky.

Papa Grows Funk

Saw these guys in Pomona a couple weeks back. Very full sound for a duo and yes they play the songs as recorded - in real time.

El Ten Eleven

Another duo and a local band starting to get some serious airplay. "New Low" gets played in Northern California and apparently "Busy Bein' Born" is getting some spins in the UK where they are about to start touring.

MC Rut

Yet another duo from Sacramento, though they were once a five piece and the only band so far that I haven't seen live in the last two months. I don't really know what to call what these guys do. Math rock? Prog?

Hella

Some bands I've never seen live and only heard online:

Not local (from Worcester Mass actually), but a great band from a former TBer - Ron Mominee. I need to bust out their CD again.

The Curtain Society.

Another TBer, Ron Now's band is kickass, especially for doom fans. Check out the track "Reefer Sutherland"

Bongripper

One more. This is a band I found by accident a while back. A sort of Australian Wilco meets The Band type vibe.

The Wells.

That's all I've got off the top of my head, but I could easily list 200 more small to mid-level bands that deserve larger exposure.

17. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis

I have actually taken a listening cruise through all the links some I like some not ... but rather than have the ever present, original vs cover whine fest just seems more productive to actually have links to places you can hear new music ... I whole heartedly agree that indeed way too much "new" music is just that, new but not noteworthy, but if you are gonna put it out there don't be shy about it, or at least be willing to give a nod to those you think worthy of a listen.

Maybe it needs to be a sticky like "what kind of bass you play"

:eyebrow: ... But if it degenerats into I hate you because you do ... or don't play Mustang Sally then it's a worthless exercise just using up bandwidth!

18. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia