Original Bands

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Piezoman, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    We just completed the lineup for a hard rock band. 5 piece band. But at practices, we are like chickens without heads. I'd like to take a leadership role since were not doing anything and wasting time and money. We have no material written yet but we have a few pieces we would like to build off of.

My question is how do your original band practices run gennerally? How do you create songs and what do you do in the rehearsal studio?
  2. oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    Im in a three peice, and the last couple drummers (including this one) arent available all that much. as it is though, me and the guitarist/singer happen to be really good friends, so we just get together and work on stuff the other guy has started. Then when we rehearse with the drummer, we show him the song, he gets his input, and he makes a drumline, and we practise the complete song from there, making changes as we wish. The only issue comes up when me and the guitarist are so sick of playing some songs we dont reharse them with the drummer enough. But I like this method. It keeps the band in a pointed direction at practise, because people know what to play. So you should sit down with a couple memebers of your band and start writing, and then give other memebers the oppertunity to contribute once you show them your prototype. encourage the other members of your band to do this to so no one feels left out.
  3. nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    we do it the same way. and we're also a 3piece.
  4. bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    My band tended to try to write fairly complex material. Not only were the songs very hit or miss, but we saw a similar issue to yours-- practices turned into unorganized, two-hour long structure "negotiations" with one or two guys walking away for eternal smoke breaks. :meh:

We've tried a couple of things that seem to be helping:

1) Hung a couple of dry erase boards. One has all of our song and set lists. This allows us to stay focused and modify lists on the fly for different gigs. Everyone's on the same page all the time. The other has chords and structures of new songs as we are working through them. If we quit in the middle, it's all there for us at the next practice. Also and EXCELLENT visual cue while the song is unfamiliar.

2) We've also begun writing under the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) principle. Someone comes in with a simple riff. We work on that until we can make it sound good or just decide to put it away for a while/forever (we can usually tell in a half-hour or so if it's something that we want to pursue). Once we decide it's a keeper, we start working on additional riffs to use as the chorus or verse, depending on how we're using the original. Pretty fair chance that we'll stumble across a bridge while we're at it. For us, the epiphanal moment was when we figured out that we don't have to write freaky complex stuff to write good music. In fact, we're actually having a lot more fun (and writing a LOT more) than we did during my first stint with this band. Gone are mind-numbing array of chords. We traded them in on more distortion and.....well....more distortion. ;)

If the band can't seem to complete new songs, try writing real simple stuff. Even if it's not a keeper down the road, the band will get into the habit of writing complete material.
  5. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    oh good, it's not just us. lol
  6. If no-one is going to have a whole song, someone's gotta come up with a part you all want to work with, figure out what that part is going to be or what'll go with it and go from there. There is a fair amount of discipline involved. Don't feel stupid about throwing out an idea, part, lyric etc. A lot of really great songs have sprung from "throwaway" ideas. After you put things together, be able to judiciously edit yourself and your band. If you don't like something, say it, if you like something, say it. Communicate.

The dry erase board is invaluable. In fact, our latest song is called (for now) Circle, Square, Star, Triangle... from the symbols we used for each part and the arrangement of the parts... :D
  7. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    My guitarist and I are really close friends so he'll come round, we'll jam all day, listen to stuff and drink a few beers. We go to gigs together whenever possible so we're kinda the foundation for the band. Sometimes our vocalist (who is a lazy **** when it comes to practices) sends along some vocals and/or chords to work on. We often work from just one riff to start and jam away untill we get it in a form we like. Our drummer is quite a distance away so we don't get to play with him that often but he impros so effortlessly that we can just play anything and by the end he'll have his entire part figured. Pity that our front man (rythmn guitar and vocals) is so pathetic, we are thinking of replacing him but the talent pool in our area is incredibly thin. I write lyrics sometimes or sometimes I just give Sam (lead guitar) a word or a theme and away we go. Everything always starts from a small simple thing though.
  8. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Yep, after all the intro to "Sweet Child O' Mine" was a joke.
    My guitarist and I are completely different songwriters. I tend to write around one riff like Sabbath or Cream while he prefers chordal progressions. So we have some very different songs but we always find a way to make it work. Have a good mind of what you want to do in rehearsel and make sure to do it.
  9. I got a 4 piece going on right now...Bass, Drums, Guitar, Vox.

Pretty much someone will bring a riff to practice and we'll jam off of it hoping to come up with something that sounds real good and goes along with it or after running through one of our songs someone will fool around and play a riff or beat that someone else likes and we'll jam it. Sometimes my guitarist and I get together and work on stuff. Sometimes we will just start jamming (starting off w/ some simple guitar riff or drum beat and going from there) and get something out of it. Oh, and occasionaly we basically can't think up anything and do nothing the whole practice. We usually save the song structure lectures for later that night when we are all home and can complain back and forth about it over the internet to eachother :D