Original but Classic Designs for a Custom Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Mar 22, 2002.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I've been considering a Warmoth project bass for quite some time. The only ideas I've really considered have been copies of a bass that's on the market now. What I'm searching for is something original, with a classic Fender or Music Man vibe. I want to try a new pickup configuration or something. Does anyone have any ideas? Anything you've done? What about a Gibson SG Body w/ a Tele neck, a humbucker and a single coil pickup? Tell me what you think.
  2. I guy on this forum named tufnuts has a Jazz body warmoth with a MM style pickup. I thought that was pretty cool.

IMO, the SG with a Tele neck doesn't sound to visually appealing. but, to each his own.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If a "classic Fender or MusicMan vibe" refers to body style, your "searching for something original" is self-contradictory.

I had a Gibson EB3, (same body style as your SG idea), and liked the style, but that was back when Leo Fender hadn't even begun thinking about the name, "MusicMan."

For today's slap and fingerstyles, that body style isn't very functional any longer, IMO.

One bass I saw that looked very cool to me was a Thunderbird-style body with a MusicMan neck and headstock.

FWIW, the design I came up with for my custom was just something I came up with after throwing away about 30 other drawings I had done. I thought about what I didn't like and had a pretty good idea of what I did like. Even that went through numerous revisions.

It may look like it borrows from Carl Thompson and Rickenbacker, but I wasn't consciously thinking of them when I came up with it. The horns actually reflect a very old European instrument design that represents the bass clef, comme ca -

4. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    The EB or SG style body w/ a Tele Neck actually isn't too visually appealing. I think that something can be original w/ a classic vibe and not be contradictory. Lakland for example is an original idea, using the MusicMan and Jazz sounds and fusing them together, while maintaining a classic vibe to them. I'll get an idea one of these days and maybe that can explain it better.