1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Original Coke vs. the 1000 variations. (and Coke vs. Pepsi)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Coke!

47 vote(s)
    67.1%
  2. Pepsi!

23 vote(s)
    32.9%
  1. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

I have to disagree with the reasons why they use corn syrup in their sodas..

Years ago, sugar was EXPENSIVE. So, in an effort to cut costs, the cola makers decided to find something cheaper, and still charge the same price for their soda. Along comes corn syrup. That's why a 5 lb bag of sugar now costs 89 cents instead of $5 End of story.

Also, sugar no longer comes just from cane, but also from beet. Sugar producers will not mark their bags as what type of plant they got their sugar from, for fear that customers will only buy one type. (which would be a bad thing for us consumers, because it would drive the price of cane sugar up because people would claim it's more "pure" or some other horse hockey.)

That's what I learned in Culinary school.

As far as choosing a cola, where's [​IMG]?

2. Yes, cane sugar was expensive in the late '60s (and remains so, relative to corn syrup) because we put an embargo on buying it from the low-cost producer, Cuba--which can grow and refine cane sugar probably as cheaply as we can grow corn and refine syrup, since labor costs there are statistically indistinguishable from zero :p .

In any case, demand for sweeteners didn't fall, as you mentioned, so new methods of producing corn syrup were developed that dramatically increased its sweetness (thus the "high-fructose" part). Since we subsidize the bejeezus out of corn production, corn--and, ergo, corn syrup--is artificially cheap on the world market.

It's not a coincidence, by the way, that the replacement of cane sugar with HFCS in the 1970s is closely correlated with the beginning of a massive increase in the obesity rate. The extra ~50 calories in twelve ounces of HFCS Coke, relative to cane sugar Coke, translates into--with a daily consumption of one twelve-ounce can--about ten extra pounds per year. That's gonna make you fat!

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I don't see how that is cowardly?

Usually, if there's a company serving small nation and ten other nations around it telling that they absolutely won't buy the same stuff, it's usually wise for the competing company to sell their products to the larger market where they also have practically a monopoly. I'd rather call it smart business :ninja:

4. I'll second this motion!!!!:bassist:

However of the choices listed....I'd pick Coke over Pepsi! Not that I don't drink Pepsi....just that I prefer Coke....well Diet Coke to be exact...I think it tastes better than the full sugar alterrnative!

But give me diet Irn Bru over all of them anyday - and it helps great with hangovers too!:hyper:

5. Economically rational actions can still be morally offensive, you know. Suppose that China decided that all multinational firms that do business in Taiwan--not with the ROC government, mind you, but just in the country--were barred from doing business in the PRC. The rule would apply to all firms, even those producing essential medicines and innocuous consumer goods. Would you deem it ethical for a firm to therefore cease to do business in Taiwan? I would not.

Pepsi makes consumer products, not capital equipment or military hardware. Its presence in a country in no way enriches or fortifies it; it would do business in North Korea if both the DPRK and the US government would let it. It's probably committed the same human rights violations (mainly violent union-busting in Third World countries) as many other multinationals, but none of those involved national sovereignty. Simply put, Pepsi pansied out because Arab states refused to recognize Israel's right to exist and wished to impose their will on the rest of the world. To me, that's not too far away from burning down Scandinavian embassies because their governments won't legally enjoin private citizens from engaging in legitimate, if offensive, free speech.

6. Coke by far. It just tastes better, and there's more tastey variations of it. I'm drinking a Cherry Coke now.

7. It's the ULTIMATE hangover cure!! As every Scot knows:)

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Neither, an average coke is 100-150 calories, and once you know what it takes to burn 500 calories, I'd rather have an extra glass of water, thankyou.

Oh, Coke > Pepsi

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Coke or a real Cherry Coke for me !

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Coke. Pepsi is too sweet, even compared to Vanilla Coke (RIP).

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Coke. My favorite being black cherry vanilla.

12. pepsi- nectar of the gods

13. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    coke with whiskey
    pepsi without

i've always thought coke was the syrupy sweet one, and pepsi the more refreshing. Hence when Coke is cut with liquor it retains its flavor more.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow, you guys are all amateurs. When I'm thirsty for an ice cold cola, I go out to my organic farm and pick some fresh cola nuts, coca leaves (just to make sure and get the ORIGINAL recipe - don't tell the authorities) and sugar cane. Then I take it all back and process the cane into sugar and break down the ingredients and mix it all together with some homemade soda water. Then I head out to the garage and create one of my custom hand-blown cola bottles, bottle it up and put it in the freezer until it's at exactly 34 degrees. Then I drink one sip at a time, returning the bottle to the cooler until it's back at 34 degrees so that each sip is perfect. That is the ONLY way to drink cola. You can keep your corn syrups.

bc

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Sounds almost as geeky as roasting your own beans.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, yeah...but I will not be accepted into true geekdom until I'm growing my own beans. I'm planning the move to Colombia as we speak.

bc

17. "I made a quiche with soy bacon--ORGANIC soy bacon."

http://www.brunching.com/smugguy.html

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  19. I recall that "portraitoftracy" was the one who brought it here. Whatever happened to that kid, anyway? Did he start getting action or something and decided that webboarding was for tools?

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    n00b.