Original Fender 75 Jazz or 75 Reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Aug 12, 2005.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    I have been thinking about getting an ash bodied maple fretboard fender and I was thinking about the Jazz 75 RI until i saw the price. It's $1500 new and there aren't many used ones out there. Then i realized, I could probably buy an original for the same amount of money. So people, which do you think would be better and why?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Personally, I wouldn't shake a fist at the reissue, they're great instruments. If you can get a great playing original '75, I wouldn't hesitate, unless you plan on doing any mods to the electronics or anything that's not reversible. Really, I wouldn't mess with a vintage thing if the reissue is just as good, which I assure you, is just about the case.
  3. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Whichever you decide to get I recommend NOT buying a 70's era Fender without playing it first. I have played many from that decade and they are all very different animals. For example my 72 Jazz plays, sounds, and weighs nothing like my friends 73. QC during that era seemed a little lax IMHO. I believe newer Fenders have the edge in quality and playability, but I much prefer the sound of vintage Fenders.
  4. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Guitar Center was recently closing these out and had brand new MIA 75 reissues priced at $820. If I couldn't find a similar deal, I'd most likely just order a CIJ model and save some more money.
  5. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    oh man where do you live and which guitar center is it at...maybe i can get the price quote from them and have a local gc match the price
  6. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    It was a few months ago and they were closing them out, so I imagine that most or all of the stores are probably sold out.
  7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    thanks zomby, yeah if somehow i could get that price that would be amazing. I like the Original because it's vintage and cool, but i think if i got the reissue i could brake it in myself and not have had like 10 different players on it already, plus nothing beat a new shining bass!!
  8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. You don't know where that bass has been. ;)

Seriously, vintage instruments can be a bit of a crap shoot. If you get the right one, and have it set up right, there's nothing else like it. Something about the aging process (most likely in the neck) can't be duplicated, even by the best luthiers. A truly great vintage Fender tone is almost magical.

However, it's also easy to end up with an overpriced hunk of junk, as people know vintage instruments command top dollar, and not everyone is scrupulous/honest. I might be willing to buy a new Lakland without having played it first, but not a vintage Fender, whose provenance is unknown.
  9. Bartman...

I noticed in your sig you have a 2005 DJ5, how does this compare to the Fender 75? or the Geddy Lee, i have serious GAS for the 75 or geddy, tbu someone on here pointed me towards the DJ signature, which is a stunning looking bass, but i need more info??
  10. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I'd go for the re-issue. That is if it sounds good to you. It's rare to find a vintage J-Bass for $1500 that hasn't had some type crazy mod or neck or fingerboard repair..so watch out for that if you're bent on getting the real thing.