1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Original Fishman Pro-EQ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Warpeg, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    My guitarist gifted me his old Fishman Pro-EQ (See picture). The specs state an input impedance of “10m w”. I’ve not seen impedance documented in this way, with a “w”. Is this adequate for a standard bridge piezo?

17F33F66-FB59-4587-A7F4-9B70D533EE2A.

2. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I'm not sure what the "w" means, but I used to have one of these and I remember it being 10 Meg Ohms like the current Fishman preamps. It was a necessity back when I used an Underwood pickup and a Carvin bass amp.

- Steve

3. I've got one of these too, actually the ProEQII model. My wife used to use it with her guitar before we realized we could DI without problems.

I've never tried it with my DB because (1) I figured it was made for guitar and (2) we found out we could also successfully DI with my bass and let the sound guy worry about EQ...

I've also got a piezo set, and with mono cabling only use the bridge piezo. Would this pre-amp work properly with my bass?

4. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I’ll try it this weekend and report back. I noticed also that it has a 60Hz “sub” control on the back too. Maybe this is some sort of primitive HPF?

5. More likely a notch filter for 60 Hz. The bandwidth is probably not too narrow, because the frequency of the AC power that could get blended out that way can vary a bit.

6. Mine also has that, and as well has a similar Input Gain setting on the back...

After searching all over I found the manual, it says this model also has a input impedance of 10MOhm, and it says it will work with a bass.

I'll also try it and report back...

7. So, I tried my ProEQII, it works very nicely, providing significant boost and excellent EQ control.

Kinda nice, using an antique pre-amp with an antique bass!

8. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Nice! I can’t wait to try mine out.

dhergert likes this.
  9. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    I used one with an Underwood for several years. It enhanced the pickup very well. I wouldn’t have been without it.

Don Kasper and Steve Boisen like this.
  10. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Add me to the list of Underwood + Pro EQ users from back in the day. It helped.
    I still have mine. I wonder ….

Don Kasper and Steve Boisen like this.
  11. Hmmm. My ProEQII has a belt clip that works very nicely on my bow quiver, right next to my piezo socket and I have some patch cables arriving this morning. I may have found a permanent home for this preamp.

12. Ok, the ProEQII is mounted with the belt clip discretely on the back side of the bow quiver via a tidy slit that I put into the quiver, the pre-amp doesn't show from the front, and the patch cable works perfectly.

Access to the front controls of the pre-amp is easy, battery changes can be done with the pre-amp in place, and access to the back to change the input gain and 60Hz “sub” is by simply pulling it off of the quiver (although I don't expect to need to change these settings often).

There are no new contact points with the bridge or tailpiece or with the body of the bass, so there is no new rattling or muting. The extra weight of the ProEQII on the bow quiver might have some minor muting effect, but so far I can't hear a difference when playing acoustically.

One thing I wanted to accomplish is an easy way to use my amp as a personal monitor while DI'ed into a PA, so I have a short mono splitter cable attached to the pre-amp output port and when using the amp, the cable to the amp is plugged into one of the splitter ports. (My amp does have an output port, but when used it completely cuts off the amp's audio output.)

The only thing I don't like about this setup is a characteristic of the ProEQII itself... The user manual defines that the input cable serves as an on/off switch, so unfortunately I can't leave it plugged in all the time or the battery will become exhausted. So I'll just leave the input cable unplugged until I need it.

13. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    That’s interesting. My Pro-EQ I has it’s on/off switch on the output instead of the input. I wondering why they changed that when they moved to the II.

14. Hmmm, I wish it were not true...

"Insert a plug into either input jack[*], and the preamp powers up. To conserve the battery, remove the plug(s) from the input jack(s) when not in use."

*Note: this document is a user manual for the G II, B II and Pro-EQ II preamps, hence the plural input jack references.

Also:
    "The low battery LED will flash briefly when the unit turns on."

I see this happening when I plug a cable into the input jack only.

15. "It didn't happen if there are no pics..."

Front with preamp. Top-front with preamp. Back with preamp.

Hmmm, I need to dust it off.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  16. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I used this with an Underwood for a while and it did a fine job, especially in the studio when a pickup channel was requested.

17. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Yes Eric, I did exactly that too. And got a very good sound. All pickup no mic!

18. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Well, I tried it! Signal path:

Northern Lutherie dual-sensor pickup > Pro-EQ-I > GK 1001RB-II > GK Neo 112-II (set flat)

Wow! Talk about a great tone! It is very balanced, whisper-quiet noise, and natural sounding. I especially like the “brilliance” control to bring out my slapping and other percussive nuances. The 60Hz control helped a ton with eliminating low-frequency feedback at high volume. This preamp will certainly stay in my stable.

dhergert and KUNGfuSHERIFF like this.
  19. Yup, mine too.

I'm very happy you brought this topic up. If it hadn't been for your thread, my ProEQII would still be in storage in a bag somewhere.

Thanks very much!!!

As for my settings, I've set my pre-amp EQ settings all flat, but full on, so the only setting I need to worry about when I'm playing is volume. I'll do the main EQ settings on my amp. When DI'ed, I may change my pre-amp EQ to my personal preferences (and override the sound guy if necessary).

Btw, I tested the splitter cable concept. Works perfectly with two connections, one to my amp and one DI to a PA.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  20. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Just wondering, does the sub preset on the underside act as an HPF? If it does it could be a useful backup to my FDeck which I wouldn’t without. My whole sound revolves round Francis’s little gizmo and I get nervous that one day I won’t have it with me, for one reason and another. Anyone?