1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Original Flat Chrome Solo

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by TMSP, May 11, 2010.

1. TMSP

TMSP

Feb 6, 2010
    Aveiro, Portugal
    Hello everyone

I would ask about the strings Original Flat Chrome Solo. I heard that these strings are very hard and vibrato becomes a little difficult to implement. Have some experience with these strings?
    I think OFC Solo have normal tension, but they seem very hard on touch, stiff right hand.

Do you think that the strings Original Flat Chrome Solo are hardest than the Thomastik Spirocore Solo, for example?

I would like to know your opinion on this or is it just a matter of habit.

Thanks for your answers, is very important.

PS.: I have also tried Spirocore Solo (don't like on my d.bass) Belcanto Solo, Flexocor Solo, Permanent Solo and in terms of projection and sound quality, it seemed more appropriate the Original Flat Chrome Solo strings for my doublebass, my doublebass is a little bit bilhant .

2. TMSP

TMSP

Feb 6, 2010
    Aveiro, Portugal
    Please, no one knows whether the OFC Solo strings are difficult, hard and tiring? Tension or comparation with another strings?
    Thank you.

3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not quite to your point, but if it helps, I use the regular OFC's on one bass and I find them very comfortable (the other bass is strung will Corellis which I normally use). I found the OFC easier to deal with than orchestral guage Original Flexocors or Permanents.

Hope it helps

Louis

4. TMSP

TMSP

Feb 6, 2010
    Aveiro, Portugal
    Hello Louis, thanks for your reply. However I could experience the Permanent (in solo tuning) as well as the OFC Solo. In the region of thumb, especially the B string of Permanent a bit suffocates my double bass, wolf more perceptible compared with the OFC, but when I play with the OFC I am very tired of my left hand in a short time and I think it is very easy to have metallic noises. With Permanent I feel pretty comfortable, but the sound is a little thin, few bass ... Do not know if lowering the bridge, you can solve the problem of tension of the OFC, but what is certain is that the core is hard, it might be causing this fatigue.

Thanks for the reviews.

5. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't know about the technical tensions and gauges etc, but apart from the hand/fatigue issues, for me it depends what kind of sound I'm after and what compromises I'm willing to make (obviously, I'm not soloing, so the margin for error here is greater)

1) My strings of choice are Corellis - generally 370 TX Fortes or 380 Fortes. They put the least strain on my hand (I have arthritis), give a generally warm sound and are very easy to bow. Some people complain that the sound is thin, but on the one bass I use them on (a small carved bass by Jorge Vasquz de Anda) that doesn't seem to be the cae - they really seem to make this bass sing -- granted in a "cello" sort of way (although the lower strings are quite sufficient for orchestra)

2) I had Permanents on my large Swanson bass. I think on the right bass they make the instrument sound warm and round, although on some basses they seem choked and muddy. I took them off the Swanson when I sent that bass out to a potential buyer (and put on Flexocores) and put the Perms on another Italian bass -- same, warm round, soft feel.

3) I find the Flatchromes a more agressive string - something that cuts right through. Very loud, very ballsy. They take a little more work than the Permanents, but not nearly as much as the Original Flexocore or, IMO, the Evah Pirazzis, which are both to thick for me.

I don't know if any of this is helpful to your needs, but... I hope so.

Louis