1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Original Flat Chrome vs. Original Flexicore/ String Nerd Talk

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by TheDear3465, Nov 10, 2020.

1. TheDear3465

TheDear3465 Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2012
    So I am trying to figure out my string situation... Have all original Flexicores with a Belcanto G rn. I like the Flexicore tone but the strings are quite hard to initiate and can be muddy. Not ideal for fast playing and missing some sparkle. Tone wise quite good for sure. Very Phat in a full way which I love. Belcantos are nice all around but maybe a little lackluster (needs more body/oomph?). Seems tame but worth it for the ease of playing. Anywho, I see Berlin guys using these Original Flat Chromes, Belcantos, or a mix. My old teacher use to love the flatchromes. I think Joel has one on his low G in his last video and possibly Rinat had used them too? I am thinking either bel canto top 3 with a flatchrome E, bel canto G with the rest flatchrome, or possibly some kind of mix of the two. I have a french bass with good tone and projection but could probably use a string with good spread. Trying to build a full, dark, voluminous, powerful sound that is easily playable (if this is even possible lolol)

Any setup ideas? How do the Original Flat Chrome compare to the Original Flexicore? Will either be at all more or less responsive/not so slow (I feel like even when the flexicore is going it is still slow) Any other ideas for string setups after reading? Have used Passione starks and Flexicore in the past and they are great. Do you all think I would like Obligatos or Evahs? Permanent E thoughts?

Thanks for the help!!!

2. I know rinat used eudoxas, the wrapping is similar.
    Im currently using original flexies with a permanent E and am really loving the power, it's seeming to be a perfect setup rn

ChildishNugget likes this.
  3. TheDear3465

Mar 22, 2012
    ohhh interesting about the eudoxas, that would be a cool experiment... So you like that permanent E then?

4. iamthebassplayr

iamthebassplayr Gold Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I played with OFC GDA and Perm Long E/C for a few years... I liked the tension and give they had, and there was a bit of sizzle in the sound that was really nice. Played in a section where someone behind me would use them and they were LOUD (the player could have probably adjusted a -bit- more ha).

It made some off the string or quicker articulations a little too 'chiffy' sometimes... had to be very intentional.

I've been on the string hunt since then...

I tried Belcantos--you can beat the crap out of them and they don't give up, though I feel like at one point they stop giving you more. Also relatively bland IMO, especially following the OFC.

Tried Evahs (Mit) for a bit.. They are fun if you aren't up in thumb too much... get choked sounding up high, but down where the 'money' is they are a blast--Articulations have a 'pop' and plosive quality that is a blast and are easy to time I think. Intonation can suffer and sometimes felt a bit muddy. Had a little better luck with the Weichs, but lost some of that plosive quality that was addicting, and if I wasn't intentionally, I could pretty easily collapse the bottom string if I dug in (sight-reading big Orch rep) without thinking...

Currently playing with Passiones (stark) GDA. Warmer for sure. Big and full. I feel like the response of these is a little more/farther in both the low end and the top end... little less mid-push I got from belcantos. Still retaining clarity, but not that same 'sizzle' as OFC. Current favorite. I've had them over a Permanent as well as currently a Spiro 4/4 mit.

Even convinced my instructor to get a set and replace his OFC on his 1839 A Bernardel. Talk about a full, dark, voluminous, powerful sound... On his bass, the A is a touch slower and he has to time it a bit more intentionally, especially versus the Permanent. (Interestingly, on my bass the A response is better than the Perm and why I went to the Spiro). He may end up Passione GD and Perm AE/C.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Lee Moses and TheDear3465 like this.
  5. TheDear3465

Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks so much for your insight! This was very helpful. Looks like I can kind of rule out the Evahs. May just go back to the Passiones! Although the way you describe the OFC is kind of enticing... Kinda thinking passione stark G and the rest OFC. I hear the OFC G can be a bit rough. As a whole would you describe the OFC as more or less bright/ abrasive than spiros?

6. iamthebassplayr

iamthebassplayr Gold Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I haven’t had a full set of Spiros on my bass, only on an occasional pizz gig/sub on someone else’s bass—one I’ve always thought about trying though. Think I haven’t had the stomach for the potential break in period. Might be the time given the current circumstances (damn you!).

A few different sizes/tensions to consider. 3/4 and 4/4 in weich, mittel, and stark—and solos.

I had a buddy do a recital on solo Spiros and he loved them.

I’ve —heard— some describe Spiros as great under your ear, but that they don’t quite carry like some others that might seem lacking from behind the bass, but clear up out in the hall. Take it with a grain of salt—the only time I’ve specifically heard them were those solos and they sounded great in the room (on a bass with some short comings too).

Joe Conyers (assist. Principal Philadelphia orchestra) uses them on his orchestra bass and they scream in those video clips (Instagram @weatherclef or on YouTube). Wonder how old they are/how long he has had them on...

Also, you might not rule anything out... every instrument and player are different and can interact with different aspects of your set up in novel ways. Everything is a jumping off point...

TheDear3465 and Selim like this.
  7. Joseph Conyers uses the Spiro weichs if I remember correct. I'm gonna assume the lower tension makes then a bit less bright than the regular and more responsive.

TheDear3465 and iamthebassplayr like this.
  8. TheDear3465

Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks again! A lot of good stuff to think about. Joe Conyers is the man! Need to get my hands on some spiros at some point to try out!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021