Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Original Flexocor tension

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Does anyone know the tension of Pirastro Original Flexocors? I can't find it in the Pirastro web site, and I haven't gotten a response to my e-mail. And I will NOT go to 2xbasslist and listen to that pompous ****ing windbag that signs on as "Dr." If you have the facts from Pirastro, I'm all ears...or eyes.
    Thanks

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Pirastro doesn't give that kind of information, unfortunately.
    I also asked them in the past, and didn't get any answer.

I checked on Bob (Al Hail) Gollihur's link page, but the Original Flex were not measured. (they're not listed)

As far as I can tell, they're relatively high tension, except the D which felt slack on several basses on which I tried it.

HTH.

3. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Does any one know any thing about Corelli 370 Tungsten strings? Are these similar to the Pirastro Obligatos. What are some of the differences? I have a 50s Kay.

4. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    JAS,
    you can check the archives here in the "Strings[DB]" forum.
    These two strings have been discussed a lot.
    IMO, they are quite different:

370s: steel rope-core wound with tungsten. bright tone, thin diameter. available in three gauges. Jazz players will use the forte or extra-forte while arco players will use the medium.

Obligatos: braided synthetic core wound with steel. warm tone, often described as gut-like.

By the way, instead of making your message a reply to Don's thread about the Original Flexocors, you should have started another thread with its own subject.
    Hope this helps!

5. OK, I'll admit it, I'm getting string G.A.S. Are there any classical players out there that have used Origional Flexocors? It seems that every Curtis grad that I know uses them and will not even substitue the E string. Since they are all fantastic musicians, do they know something that I don't (wow, is that a loaded question).

Mark

6. Yeah, I have used Original Flexocors and the newer flexicores. The original flexocores are somewhat higher tension. The bow extremely well and have a thick dark sound. They are the darkest and most robust sounding string I have played. My teacher used these for year until he got turned on to helicore orchestra heavies. The only problem with the original flexocore are that they are definately and orchestra only string. You will not be happy with their jazz pizz tone whatsoever.

7. It's subjective, I know, but would anyone disagree with this? I have a notion to try a D&G because I'm looking for something dark in my jazz pizz sound. Also, can anyone compare the tension and sustain of Original Flex to Spiro Orchs?

Thanks!

8. Shornick

Shornick Scot Hornick

Dec 18, 2001
    NJ
    T-Bal, please let me know if you do try the Flexocors, I have been thinking about trying the G for some time. Currently have Spiro Starks on E and A and Oblis on D and G. Like the D, but think something a little darker on the G would be nice.

9. Aroneng

Aroneng Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I am using Original Flexocores, but I am only playing in an orchestra. In my opinion the sound of the strings are darker than Obligatos. However, if you are looking for sustain they are certainly lacking in that area. To me the Original Flexocores are a great dark sounding string under the bow and wouldn't be well suited for Jazzers.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I am currently using the new Flexocors. The bowed tone on my Shen hybrid continues to get better and better as both the bass and the strings are played in.

I don't much care for the pizz tone. I preferred the way the Obligatos sounded pizz. Although bowed, the Obligatos sounded liked like cheese.

Original Flexocors are even darker than the new ones, so the pizz sound would certainly be very old school. The new Flexocors also have a VERY quick decay, which is kind of tough for pizz. I assume the originals would be the same.

Charles

11. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    My analysis of the Original Flexocor/New Flexocor is this:

The New Flex D&G are darker, stiffer, thumpier than the Original Flexocors.
    The New Flex A&E are thinner, clearer sounding than the Originals.

The Original Flex G is quite bright.
    The Original Flex D is warm.
    The Original Flex A&E are thick, stiff, dark sounding, if not muddy (the E).

The New Flexocor were released in 1992 as a reaction to the main criticisms about the Originals. (see above)

François

12. I guess what I'm really curious about is this: Do brightness and sustain usually go hand-in-hand, or is there a string that is both dark and sustains well?

13. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    To my knowledge, they're mutually exclusive.
    To get a dark tone, they put dampening stuff between the core and outer wrap, and this stuff reduces the sustain.
    The trick would be to use a core type which sounds dark but has sustain.
    I'd like to hear reports about Kolstein's new Heritage perlon core string...

14. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Indeed

15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I assume these strings are not yet available for retail sale as they are not listed on the Kolstein site. Does anyone know when they might be?

16. Aroneng

Aroneng Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Give Kolstein's a call. They are available. I picked up a set, but not sure when they are going to be put on to give a report back on how they sound.

Sorry Don, this plug is going in the wrong direction from your original question.

17. Thanks, Vishicois. (If I knew how to spell that, it might have been funny) As always you are a cornucopia of string knowledge.

Errant Egg, I'll bet Dono has all but forgotten about his question since it was 2-1/2 years ago.

18. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    You meant Vichyssois? :)
    A nice pun, but actually I'm from Quebec, Canada, not France, where Vichy is. But there's a relation!

Thanks for the kind words!
    François

19. Indeed.
    My Original Flexocors went out the door on a bass I sold more than a year ago. Man, I loved that bass. Thanks for reminding me.
    I'm using Olivs now for orchestra work, and I flat-out love 'em. They've got 'Old 87', my 1925 American Standard plywood, sounding like a carved bass.