Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Original Fusion anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pontz, Oct 12, 2005.

1. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Anyone in an original fusion band? I just joined one and though I'm into the music, I'm a bit nervous about how poeple will respond when we start to play out (probably because I've only played in cover bands in the past).

I'd love to hear some samples. Post links to your web sites or downloadable tunes.

Thanks,
    Pontz

2. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
  3. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Owl,
    Well crafted music, thanks. I particularly liked Healing of a Heart.
    Pontz

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My band is kind of fusiony, in the vein of Steely Dan, only some tunes go very strongly in the jazz direction and others go very strongly in the funk direction. And still others are rocky, or even jam-bandy. Very eclectic band, I love it.

5. my stuff is like that too, except i don't know about the steely dan part

6. If by fusion you mean a fusion of rock and jazz, then I am most definitely in a fusion band. We've always had a hard time getting a category for us, but fusion is definitely closest. However, we're more stripped down than say a Return to Forever kind of thing, so keep that in mind. www.motosota.com

Oh, and i'm the flute-key player. Also play bass but not in this band.

7. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Thanks Pontz, that song was a BLAST to record!!

For my next trick, I'll re-do The Dead Kennedy's "Stealing Peoples Mail" as a 6-part suite :D

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Don't worry...in CT you will NEVER get to play out :D

Seriously, fusion is a tough sell anywhere in the USA these days, your best bet is to get into your local jam band circuit as those audiences are open to a lot of left-of-center music.

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Those audiences can get pretty damn big too . . . just look at Phish's and DMB's success.

Of course, those two examples are waaay right of the hardcore Return to Forever and Tribal Tech school of fusion.

10. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Good stuff courderoy guy. I really liked the flute work.

I know what you mean Brian. The band I'm leaving to play fusion play rock, blues and country covers and gets gigs no problem. But I'm tired of playing that stuff. we have some connections for getting gigs, including an in with a top-notch fusion band Unfulfilled Desires. In fact we're opening a show for them in January.

Cheers,
    Pontz

11. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Hey Pontz, once you guys get gigging, let us know. I'm here in Danbury and would love to hear some good fusion somewhere around here. ;)

I also see you studied with Dave. Very cool. I took lessons from him 23 years ago and just started back with him again this past summer. A very cool guy. :)

Good Luck and Have Fun!! :bassist:

12. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Yeah man, Dave's a great guy and a hell of a bass player. Have you had the chance to see him play live. Great tone and groove and he makes it look so easy. Its inspiring.

Pontz