"Original" Hagstrom Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by daveze, Feb 20, 2006.

1. For sure

11 vote(s)
  2. Nup, Walk away

6 vote(s)
  1. So I thought I'd found an absolute gem. An 'original' Hagstrom Jazz style bass, all original parts, some scratches (its a 70s instrument), a good neck and a really great price. Until I asked about the pups, which he said had 'EMG' written on them.

He said he had no idea but I reckon I'm 100% certain, so I went from a definite buy, to a I'll give you a call back later. I doubt they're HZs (he would've said and I imagine you'd put reasonable pups into a bass like this), so they're probly legit EMGs, so thats not bad. I also doubt it has the covers that I've seen on other Hagstrom jazzes but that doesn't really phase me that much.

My question to those who know about things Hagstrom: Is it still worth it if the pups are non-original?

Its about 1.5hours drive away, which is a fair way to go just to turn around without anything to show for the time. Obviously I'll play it for a bit before I purchase, give it a good look over.

Currently I'm going to go for it, I think its still a once in a life time offer. Anybody prepared to weigh in against it? Or even offer a random opinion?
  2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

if you're a collector? yes, it matters.
    if you're a player who needs a reasonable jazz? no.
  3. Good point. I'm not primarily a collector. This will definitely be a player (probly second fiddle to my 5 string).
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I owned a Hagstrom. It wasn't for me but I would give it a tryout. They tend to have very slim necks. Great tone. Great vibe. I just prefer a slightly more beefy neck.

You'll kick yourself later if you don't at least try it out! Great community around Hagstrom's too.

Check out some of the links at the bottom of my Hagstrom page: http://seanm.ca/bass/h1b.html
  5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    You may or may not be aware that Hagstrom named their Fender clone two different names. At first it was called the Jazzbass, then they got heat from Fender and changed the name of it to Scanbass.

They are the same instrument. Precision style neck and body with dual Jazz style electronics. The pickups in them were Hagstrom designed and not EMG's.

If you like Fender Precision styling and feel in your bass, then you'll find the Jazzbass/Scanbass to be very comfortable. They are solid basses and nothing like the medium scale Hagstrom IB, IIB and HIIB-N that most people relate to when the name Hagstrom comes up. Jazzbass and Scanbass are full scale 34" basses and definately Hagstrom's best effort in their bass manufacturing. To bad there were less than 1000 in total made.

6. Well well well. Guess who owns the 53 916034 Hagstrom?

Thats right. I do.

A bit miffed, he took $350 a little too easily (it was $500), so I reckon I could've gone $300 with a bit of a haggle. But buggrit, its still cheaper than the pickups list for.

Its pretty much as I expected:
    -no pickup covers;
    -heaps of scratches and holes;
    -EMG pickups;
    -a few holes from where somebody's modified the pickguard;
    -parts of the binding missing.
    -made bugger-all noise because he'd been too lazy to swap the battery out.
    -strings deader than my old cat.

Otherwise, its sweet.

Plans: buy a new battery (its got a battery that I considered semi-dead in it now) and new strings; easily achievable by next Wednesday. After that I might see if I can find a big hunk of pickguard material and cut something that more closely resembles the original. Then I might see if I can find some chrome covers like it should have. Then at a later stage I might see if I can find a good fret man and see if he can repair the binding.

I'm pretty darn stoked. Just thought I'd let people know. I'll post pics when I've taken them and got a place to upload them to.
  7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Here's what you'll be looking for in chrome covers. They're very rare. Although a Fender P-Bass cover will fit in the neck position.

BTW, your bass serial number 53 916034 was made between 1974-75 in production run # 916 which produced only 55 basses. Yours was the 34th bass made in that particular run.

In case you're interested Hagstrom made a total of 642 Jazzbass'. Of those 12 were left hand models and the rest (630) were right handed. Their first production run was in 1973 and the last one in 1977 before they changed the name from Jazzbass to Scanbass.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Those Hagstrom Swedes are some pretty cool Instruments.
  9. Many thanks for that quality frontal shot. I'm not going to aim for genuine original covers for the pickups, so the recommendation about the P is appreciated, how different in size are the Fender bridge covers? I'd see if I can get a generic, unlabelled cover.

A couple of people have given me a few recomendations of good local techs, so I might make a few inquiries about the binding in the morning.
  10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I bought a generic P bass pickup cover. It is branded by Allparts. A lot of places seem to sell the Allparts brand.

They bend fairly easily if it is not exactly right.
  11. As promised, here are a few pictures:

Behold, the whole:

You can see the holes where things used to be:

The belt scratches and some weird shieldy bit:

The missing bits of binding:

It actually had a heck of a lot of dust to begin with but I wiped most of it off as soon as I got it home.

How close is the Jazz bass bridge cover that Allparts stock?
  12. Todhunter

Feb 2, 2008
    I picked up an old bass at a second hand dealer for $50, it had no identifying marks, possibly due to the mods, the pickup covers are gone and the nut(?) on the neck is brass. Looking at the images I see it is definitely a Hagstrom Scanbass, the style, colour, controls etc matches the bass shown. The name is no longer on the neck and the the bass has been badly scratched by belts and has had surgery to take out the centre pickup and put another at the neck. Overall I thought I was buying a generic bass but looks like I got more than expected. The bass is currently in pieces awaiting resoration. Any suggestions.
  13. Nice find.

I left mine pretty much in that condition. My mods:
    - Ultrajazz pickups (more traditional sound than the EMGs)
    - Chrome neck pickup cover (the P bass cover is a perfect fit)
    - New pots (not a big fan of the current condition, rewiring is on my To Do list)
    - New pickguard (but its quite poorly done and another item for the To Do list)
    - Flat wounds (the Ultra J's are quite bright, so they tamed it down nicely)

I was [and still am] considering restoring it but huge chunks of its coolness are from the fact that its got all the battle scars. For more ideas try here.