1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Original Jamerson bass tracks soloed

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by suchow, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hearing jacos Donna Lee line in context nearly brought tears to my eyes Not being familiar with the original composition I never really cared for Jacos version..that bit of recording technical wizardry has given me a totally new appreciation for the mans enormous talent.

Thank you so much for sharing this..

Murf

2. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Wow!!! Thanks Suchow!!!!!

Great stuff as usual!

:hyper:

3. suchow

suchow

Mar 18, 2002
    New York, NY
    Thanks Murf, that's nice to hear. I was going to post another thread regarding this, but since you mentioned it here I guess I should let folks know what you're referring to.

I created a track that superimposes Jaco's "Donna Lee" over the original Charlie Parker/Miles Davis recording, and then continues with Jaco's solo over the Aebersold rhythm section. I did this so that bass players could actually hear Jaco's performance with some 'harmonic reference' as opposed to just Don Alias on congas.

I've gotten a lot of good feedback on it, feel free to let me know what you think. The mp3 is here: http://www.ricksuchow.com/music-47.html

4. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    These are actually Jamerson playing on the Funk Machine?!?!?!? :bassist:

5. Again, thanks. An invaluable source. Now I can hear where I'm messing up on "I want you back."

6. Thanks so much for the cool link, Suchow! Amazing!
    I'd tried to learn What's Goin On before and am surprised that I wasn't too far off. (most parts anyway) I'm surprised to hear (w/ just the bass soloed) how laid back the groove is...speaking of "laid back", is that the song he allegedly played lying on his back? Anyway, there is much listening to be done thanks to you.

Peas.
    Chuck A

7. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Wow. Thank you!

8. Thanks,

This is fantastic stuff, just quickly listened to a couple of tracks and am going back for more...

I always cringed when any track I was working on had the bass solo'ed during mix... 'You have to listen to it in context' I would plead, before slumping in the corner waiting to get fired.

Anyone else get clicks (and I don't mean click track, god forbid) at random points on these tracks... I thought it may have been an earth thing but it seems to be on them all.

Saying that, did these guys ever use clicks?

This is very thrilling stuff.

Regards,

Kevin

9. Rick,

That's such a fun thing to do and really great to hear... Jaco stretching the changes...

... and for one glorious moment I thought you were going to re pitch the horns for the key change and Jaco's gloriously contemptuous bid for the big ending in our key 'E'.

My congratulations,

Kevin

10. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Wow, what a service! Thanks, incredible insight to these guys groove and touch. Thanks again !

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You know what I couldn't believe when I was listening to these tracks? Disregarding Jamerson's excellent playing, his tone was rather ordinary and had many artifacts that we try to get rid of in modern recordings. You can even hear his bass farting out on the lower notes. But you take that bass sound and put it in context of the band, and it's magic. I think there's a lesson to be learned there.

12. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Excellent.
    An amazing source of inspiration. Great job.

THANKS A LOT

13. Man. How in the world did you get access to these master tapes? Do you work at the studio they were recorded at or something?

14. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    So did Jamerson rolle down his tone controll to get that warm sound?

15. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Maybe, but the fact that he used very old flatwound strings and never cleaned his fingerboard might help also!!

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It sounds to me more like he left his tone control open and let the strings add the bottom end by being old.

17. Wow man, there's some magical stuff there. Love the Wilton Felder stuff also, thanks a lot!

18. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    That's strange cause my P bass sounds so incredlibly noisy and thin when I dont adjust the tone controll.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Are you using years-old flatwounds and playing up by the neck?

20. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Maybe it's really Carol Kaye!:D :D :D :D :D

dcr