1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Original Jamerson bass tracks soloed

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by suchow, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Thank you for posting this thread!

I have a question. In "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown," there was no mention of the J5 or Wilton Felder.

Were the early J5 on the Motown label, or did they just come in to use the studio? And why was there no mention of Felder in the movie?

The movie leaves the impression that all the bass parts were either Jamerson or Bob Babbitt.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wilton Felder was not part of the Funk Brothers. He was actually the sax player for the Crusaders, and doubled on bass for some Motown sessions in LA. That's why you never saw him in the movie. And yes, early J5 was on Motown until 1973, I believe, when they were lured away to Epic/CBS.

3. Pete C

Pete C

Feb 23, 2007
    New York
    This is sweet! Much appreciated. I really like your site.

4. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Thank you for explaining.

About James Jamerson. I hear a surprising number of dissonances in the lines I listened to. Pretty amazing that he would have chosen some of those notes and make them fit in the context of the song.

As for his tone, I saw a picture of him standing near an old Kustom head and cab (the tuck and roll type). Whether or not it was actually his own amp or belonged to a club he played at, I don't know.

Anyone know what kind of amp he usually favored?

FWIW, when I was a youngster, a friend of my stepdad's left his bass guitar and amp stored at our house for several months. This would have been 1973-74.

What did he have? Just an early 60's P bass and a Kustom tuck and roll stack amp, and I had permission to fool around with it. That's what made me want to play the bass, way back then. But I never got a bass of my own, then. Took up guitar instead, at the suggestion of a music store salesman.

5. stealth51

stealth51

Jan 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    In the '60s I would go to the Regal Theatre in Chicago to check out the Motown Review just to check out Jamerson. Jamerson, and a matter fact, every bass player on the show would use an Ampeg B-15. I'm pretty sure the B-15 belonged the house band bass player and it was more convenient for all the bass players to use the same amp.

6. ricardex

ricardex

Mar 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    thank you !!!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't think all those notes were his choosing. I think he might have muffed a couple notes here and there, but the producer liked the take so he kept it. There wasn't a lot of time for hemming and hawing over mistakes back then. They got a good feel and most of the notes were right, good enough and onto the next one.

8. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    Brilliant, thanks a lot

I can't seem to be able to save these as mp3 to my computer, they're .m3u for me... is this the same for everyone?

9. GhostLobby

GhostLobby totally deeeeef on the hi-hat side

Nov 20, 2006
    Seattle
    Huge thanks! Fantastic site, bookmarked!

10. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

Dec 31, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks a lot, it is good to hear these more definitively.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Looks like he's got his website sewn up pretty tight. Playlist files where you download to listen but you can't save the mp3. I couldn't even locate the files in my temp file folder. I imagine copyright issues come into play.

12. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    That's cool. I don't mind streaming, as long as they're up on his site for as long as possible!

13. My how times have changed...

If anyone laid down a track with that sort of tone now they'd be making a second take - if they got the chance!

Nowadays it's protools and autotune and...

14. This is outstanding. Thanks for sharing, Rick!

15. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Thanks, /subscribe for home viewing :)

16. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I grew up listening to motown music on CKLW out of Windsor, Ontario. It's funny how much that style is a part of my playing - more by osmosis than any conscious effort on my part.

I'm sure JJ would get a real hoot out of people listening to and analyzing his individual tracks. :D

17. anonymous_111514

anonymous_111514 Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    haha I hope I never have people on a bass website listening to my tracks! I'd be so scared people listening to my every flaw. love the site though very cool to listen to.:D

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, it's a shame he really didn't get his props until he died.

19. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Amazing stuff!

The John Perrish also hits home. I frequently jam right now with the bass player from Rare Earth (byrd) and im sure he would love to hear how many more notes he adds to "I just want to Celebrate."

20. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Very nice! Thanks for the link. I am bookmarking the site.

:bassist: