1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Original Koussevitzky Recordings

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Bottesini, Dec 15, 2006.

1. I remember once being told that there are some original recordings of Koussevitzky playing his concerto or some of his other works that is available. Anyone know about this or where someone could find it?

(oops, I guess this should have been in the recordings section)

2. bassbass

bassbass

Dec 29, 2006
    London
    I dont no of the origional recording but, Koussevitsky taught the late Frantisek Posta ( i think) so if you cant get the origional, maybe check for recordings by him as hes probably the closest thing...

P

3. there is a recording with koussevitzky playing. It has the first movement of the Eccles sonata (two seperate recordings), Laska: Wiegenlied, Beethoven: Minuet in G, two of his short pieces (Valse Miniature and Chanson Triste), the second movement of his concerto, and the Boston Symphony Orchestra under his baton playing Beethoven Six "Pastoral." the recording is a bit hazy, but I took some of his ideas from it. You can't get more accurate than hearing the composer play it.

As far as where to find it, I'm not sure. Amazon could possibly have it, or ask your teacher

4. I heard that recording years ago. The story I heard was that Koussevitsky , new to recording, thought he had to exaggerate the slurs and glisses in order to make the recording. When he heard the playback, he was horrified and didn't want it released.

I'd check with the Boston Symphony archives for info. (www.bso.org)

5. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    bump because i can't find the recordings i had once heard..

anyone got 'em?

i'm positive theres a recoding of him performing the second movement of his concerto, and i'm pretty sure i've heard him play the Valse Miniature as well.

6. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    i have mp3s of
    chanson triste
    beethoven minuet in g
    valse miniature
    wiegenlied

pm me your email if you want them

7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    There is a reel to real of it.. I havent listened to it but I heard the same thing with all the glisses.

Terry Squires (former bassist with Syracuse Symphony) had a copy.... Or at least he did when I studied with him in 1995....

8. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
  9. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I thought glisses like that were way more common back then, no?

10. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    That's another accepted theory. I would probably go with this more than the recording issue.

11. Glisses or no, the playing is brilliant (obviously). I think Jason Heath posted a couple of these recordings on his blog a couple years ago.

Listening to this reminded be of how funny it is that the best, most modern recording methods in the world can't make up for crappy playing, and how even the most primitive, obsolete recording methods can't obscure pure virtuosity.

12. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    It is on youtube, i can dig up a link for anyone interested