Original Metal Bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Noobai, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    My band has turned metal, and I, for one, don't plan on being a normal metal bassist. I have no intention to play 16th roots 24/7.

What I'd like to know is if this is possible, or has ever been done before?

Anyone know of any metal bassists/bands that have more melodic bass lines? I could use any example.

Also, any idea on how to build basslines for metal would help. Thx :D
  2. ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    sabbath. Geezer Butler is the man.
    Also, I have found that using minor 2nds and other really unharmonius tones in fast line with a "regular" scale have produced sinister voice. If it doesn't sound unsettling and drriving, play faster and play "wrong" notes on purpose.
  3. bassdreamer

Jul 3, 2002
    Try death, sadus, dream theater, pain of salvation.
    Good luck!
  4. wyrtti

wyrtti Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I've always liked what Blacky did in Voivod. His tone and lines were a big part of what carried the song as the guitar is often all over the place.

Albums such as Dimension Hatross and Nothingface should give a good idea.

Their web-site www.voivod.com has a section with audio files from various concerts.

In the metal project I'm currently involved with I've noticed that I try to play as little as possible and just give a firm foundation. The guitar seems to take up so much space, so I've decided not to make the band sound any more congested. I do get to play "more" notes in certain sections of songs...when the song needs it. But then again, it's just the type of metal we play...in other types, ie. if the guitarist were playing with a different sound and/or technique I might play more and venture out...but for the current stuff it's enough to play simply and grind the bottom. (No, not even straight 16ths very often).

Nevertheless I'm glad I also play in a sci-fi pop band and a noise band. :)

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    Geezer for sure. You should also listen to some of the stuff John Paul Jones (led Zeppelin) does, and some Jimi Hendrix bass lines (I'm drawing a blank for names here). I know the second two aren't metal but if you think about it metal guitarists evolved from inovations of Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page where as metal bassists seemed to want to be guitarists or something.
  6. Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    Steve DiGiorgio (Death, Sadus, etc)
    Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
    John Myung (Dream Theater)-he often follows the guitar but there are times when his lines are very different.
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Roger Patterson (Athiest)
    Tony Choy (also Athiest)
    Sean Malone (Cynic I believe, correct me if I'm wrong)
    Pete Perez (Riot, Spastic Ink)
    The dude from Watchtower (can't think of his name)
    Eddie Jackson (Queensryche)

All some very talented metal bassist you should check out.
  8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    here are some bands to look into

Sacared Reich
    Suicidal Tendencies
    Infectious Grooves
    Grip Inc.
  9. Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Doug Keyser is the name of the guy from WatchTower.
    Sean Malone plays in Cynic and Gordian Knot , he also played on Aghora's s/t.
  10. Cliff Burton was a great melodic metal bassist.
  11. FIELDY!!!!!!

Can I get an AMEN?
  12. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles