1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Original Peavey Fury: One pickup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Les Apt, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Les Apt

Les Apt

May 29, 2018
    I found one in a color that I like better than the black/white pickguard model that I currently have.

Thing is, it's got ONE singular slanted pickup, instead of the two precision-type pickups that all the other ones I've seen use.

How does the single pickup sound?

If it's so great, why did Peavey go to the PBass-style split pickup on subsequent Fury 1 models?

Thanks!

2. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    The old super ferrite pickups were on the originals ... here's a post with a lot of details on the differences. I've never played one of the older ones, though I had an early Foundation that had the super ferrite pickups and liked it quite a bit.
    NBD - Early Ash/Super Ferrite Peavey Fury

3. Les Apt

Les Apt

May 29, 2018
    I have a Foundation and a Foundation S, both with the Super Ferrite pickups. I just wasn't sure about how the single SF pickup would sound compared with a Split P, which can be upgraded.

4. Inara

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Most of the post I linked deals with non-pickup differences, true. There is one comment where the OP briefly compares the pickups and said "This is my first experience with the super ferrite pup and it is quite nice. Cops the P sound pretty well but maybe a bit wider frequency response and a bit cleaner when digging in. I like."

5. Les Apt

Les Apt

May 29, 2018
    Well, based on this information , I bought this one today.

download (2). download (3). download (5). download.

JZQuantum and Inara like this.
  6. Inara

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Cool! I hope it works out well for you. I have a '94 (with the split P pickup of course) that is on loan to my daughter, but I love it. I've always been curious about the originals.

7. Les Apt

Les Apt

May 29, 2018
    Yes, this will be my fifth made in USA Fury:

Two white (now yellowed to cream)
    One sunburst
    One candy apple red
    This one.

Inara likes this.
  8. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The original single pickup was likely single coil and hum prone. The P pickup is humbucking and sound fantastic - like a P bass with some extra grunt, as you likely know by now.

By the way - I did not like the Super Ferrite Pickups - seemed harsh to my ears,